Re: [furt-l] 1949 Moralt RING cycle

  • Stephen Morris
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
      Boyd, you are certainly right about the dreadful sound of that Tristan. A
      terrible shame too, since De Sabata's conducting of the work was famous, and
      Grob-Prandl's partner Max Lorenz is on his best behavior in his signature
      role. What most strikes me about Grob-Prandl's performance is the
      youthfulness, or even downright girlishness of her interpretation (dispite
      having ample power and range for the role). I know of no other performance
      which so projects this quality: we are used either to rich, often almost
      matronly voices in the part (preeminently the later Flagstad), or often,
      these days, to modest vocal endowment. Needless to say, any technical
      improvement of the sound on this recording is greatly to be wished. By
      contrast, the Moralt Ring is in quite good, clear sound, and as an overall
      interpretation I would rate it rather high among the group of outstanding
      interpretations just below the "big three" of Furtwaengler Kna and Krauss.
      (After just one run through of the excellent sounding 52 Keilberth Ring,
      which is now also available at a budget price on Gebhardt, I'd be inclined
      to place that one in the number four slot.) Regards, Steve Morris
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
        > What most strikes me about Grob-Prandl's performance is the
        > youthfulness, or even downright girlishness of her interpretation (dispite
        > having ample power and range for the role). I know of no other performance
        > which so projects this quality:

        Actually, I¹d say that the younger Flagstad (particularly the pre-1940 Met
        performances) has this characteristic. I¹m amazed at how young she could
        sound in those years. Another example is her Sieglinde (hearable in the
        complete Act I from her debut, and Acts II and III from a later
        performance).

        Although very different from Furtwangler, of course, I wouldn¹t underrate
        Bodanzky¹s Wagner conducting. To my ear it¹s preferable to Clemens Krauss,
        who was I think wonderful in Richard Strauss but superficial in Wagner.
        Bodanzky shares his fast tempi but gives the orchestra much more weight.

        -Lofty