[furt-l] Archipel remasterings

  • loeb123@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      A recent thread discussed the excellent Archipel remasterings of the Kna 1952 Parsifal and Meistersinger from Bayreuth. I have these performances on Golden Melodram and Hunt/Arkadia respectively. Is it worth replacing them with the Archipel pressings - the ones I have sound pretty good. Thanks Jay Kauffman
    • David Harbin
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        I see Archipel are about to release the live 1953
        Fidelio with Modl. Also - please excuse me if I am
        wrong - they are going to issue Don Giovanni in
        stereo!

        I've heard their remasterings are a mixed bag.

        David Harbin
        Nottingham, UK

      • Manny Nadelman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
          <P>There are no genuine stereo recordings of Furtwangler.  What are sometimes represented as stereo are two-channel recordings of live opera performances where stage and pit had separate microphones for purposes of balance.<BR></P></DIV>
          <DIV></DIV>----Original Message Follows----
          <DIV></DIV>From: David Harbin <DHARBIN_UK@...>
          <DIV></DIV>Reply-To: furt-l@...
          <DIV></DIV>To: furt-l@...
          <DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [furt-l] Archipel remasterings
          <DIV></DIV>Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:49:52 +0000 (GMT)
          <DIV></DIV>
          <DIV></DIV>I see Archipel are about to release the live 1953
          <DIV></DIV>Fidelio with Modl.  Also - please excuse me if I am
          <DIV></DIV>wrong - they are going to issue Don Giovanni in
          <DIV></DIV>stereo!
          <DIV></DIV>
          <DIV></DIV>I've heard their remasterings are a mixed bag.
          <DIV></DIV>
          <DIV></DIV>David Harbin
          <DIV></DIV>Nottingham, UK
          <DIV></DIV>
          <DIV></DIV>________________________________________________________________________
          <DIV></DIV>Download Yahoo! Messenger now for a chance to win Live At Knebworth DVDs
          <DIV></DIV>http://www.yahoo.co.uk/robbiewilliams
          <DIV></DIV>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
          <DIV></DIV>* POSTED to furt-l - the Furtwangler Mailing List
          <DIV></DIV>* Send new posts to furt-l@...
          <DIV></DIV>* Archives at: http://www.findmail.com/list/furt-l/
        • Stephen Morris
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2003
            I have both the Arkadia and the Archipel versions of the Kna Meistersinger.
            The Archipel is a tremendous improvement. I cannot compare Parsifals, but
            the Archipel transfer is just wonderful. Both performances are beautiful
            beyond praise. Regards, Steve Morris