Re: [furt-l] Anniversary of 1953 Ring

  • Stephen Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      I've been continuing my anniversary transversal of the Ring, and agree that
      the first act of Siegfried is a highpoint even of this exalted cycle. The
      intense expressiveness of every instrumental solo, the measured tempi, the
      intimate conversation interchanges between the characters, and perhaps
      above all the sensitive, almost tender performance by Patzak-- all these
      factors seem to me to unite into the very best performance of this act that
      I know. ( And the qualities of Patzak stand in such contrast to the Stolze
      performance for Solti which I find hideously overdone, a major blot on that
      project and almost, to my ears, unlistenable.) On to Goetterdaemmerung!