[furt-l] Naxos CD

  • David Harbin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
      The first naxos Furtwangler CD is to be released in
      November: the 1938 Tchai 6th and Wagner Prelude and
      Liebestod to Tristan. Sadly this reflects what I feel
      is wrong with the series as they are both studio
      performances which are bettered by live accounts (the
      Egypt Tchai and 1954 BPO live Tristan orchestral
      music).

      Regards,

      David Harbin

    • David Harbin

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
          At 06:52 PM 10/5/2003 +0100, David Harbin wrote:
          >The first naxos Furtwangler CD is to be released in
          >November: the 1938 Tchai 6th and Wagner Prelude and
          >Liebestod to Tristan. Sadly this reflects what I feel
          >is wrong with the series as they are both studio
          >performances which are bettered by live accounts (the
          >Egypt Tchai and 1954 BPO live Tristan orchestral
          >music).

          It's not clear to me why an inexpensive edition (and presumably, based on
          earlier issues in this series a good transfer) of these recordings should
          be "wrong." This is the sort of material on which the engineers who work
          for Naxos have often done work at least comparable to that done by EMI's
          staff, and sometimes superior. Studio or not, these performances are of
          considerable interest, and were for many years classics of the
          catalogue. Surely, given the nature of Furtwängler's art, the continuing
          availability of a variety of his performances of the same work, from
          different periods and with different orchestras, is highly desirable. It's
          not as if anyone is forcing you to buy the Naxos discs, nor do the
          performances thereon do any damage to his reputation as a great musician.

          Cheers,

          David

          David Hamilton
          New York, N.Y.
          davidham@...
          .

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
            === The original message was multipart MIME ===
            === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

          • Oliver Wurl
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
              Does anyone know whether Naxos still wants to publish all Furtwaengler recordings for Deutsche Grammophon / Polydor?

              Will be the test pressings of the first recording session "Freischuetz ouverture" be included?

              This session was ca 10/13 of May 1935 (Matix 500/501/502 GS, two takes each.)

              The recordings of the second session ca 30 June / 2 July 1935 (Matrix 542/543/544 GS) were published, but the 3rd act prelude exists also as 545 GS (published was 545 3/4 GS).

              Lee Schipper" <SCHIPPER@...> wrote:
              > I saw "Taking Sides" last night .....
              >Whatever the truth of what was played, the Bruckner Seventh comes up as part of
              > the humiliation process. The secretary of the Major finds the Telefunken
              > 78s in a flea market. Well, I remember how in 1968 I went to "Roland
              > Teuchtler, Fundgrube der Sammler, Schottten Ring 3a" in Vienna, and for
              > 100 Austrian Schillings and a deposit of 1000 took his copy of the
              > Bruckner to a friends and taped it. Some how the copy in the flea market
              > looked just as authentic!

              It was authetic! I lend out my 78 of the Bruckner to "Litte big bear film productions" ("Taking sides" was shot in Potsdam-Babelsberg, near Berlin) but sweat blood until I got the three records back intact.

              Kind regards,

              Oliver Wurl

              ------
            • Lee Schipper
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
                Would also be nice to hear again the 1926 Freischutz Overature....

                >>> oliver.wurl@... 10/05/03 05:47PM >>>