RE: [furt-l] Beethoven 9th - Bayreuth 1954

  • Fred Maroth
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2003
      Dear Friends:

      1) The source of the tape is a private collector. It sounds excellent!

      2) Please tell HMV Japan (and the whole Japanese market) that this is a
      December 2003 release, NOT November! It won't arrive at King Internat'l
      (Tokyo) before Dec. 1, 2003!

      3) Music & Arts recently co-produced a new piano recording (Scriabin:
      Complete Mazurkas perf. Eric Le Van) with the Bayerischer Rundfunk. I asked
      the BR executive producer to see if the 1954 Beethoven 9th with Furtw. Was
      in the BR archives; he reported it was NOT there -- only 1951 (already
      issued by EMI).

      Best to all--

      Fred Maroth

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        >>> maroth@... 01:52:28 27 September 2003 >>>wrote:

        >Dear Friends:
        >1) The source of the tape is a private collector. It sounds excellent!

        >HMV Japan is now accepting advance orders for a new transfer of this legendary performance, scheduled for release by Music and Arts in November. Recorded on 8 August 1954 in the Festspielhaus (exactly a fortnight before his valedictory Lucerne performance), this live recording of the 9th has hitherto been available only on an obscure pirate label in truly awful sound.

        Hi

        I don't know the 54 Bayreuth in whatever sound. Is it a unique reading i.e. Bayreuth 51? Or does it follow the pattern of his 50s VPO 9ths and the 54 Lucerne?

        thanks

        Johan Groenewald