Re: [furt-l] Furtwaengler at the Proms?

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
      As far as I can tell from the lists of performances, he did Mahler 3 and
      4 before 1933, but nothing after that except the Lieder eines Fahrenden
      Gesellen and Kindertotenlieder in the 1950s..

      >>> kischmir@... 08/31/03 07:29PM >>>
      At 04:58 PM 8/31/2003 -0400, Lee wrote:
      >Simon Rattle just gave a marvelous Rite of Spring with the BPO at the
      >Proms, which I heard from Washington on the internet. The
      enthusiastic
      >announcer's first remark (as the audience went wild) was that Rattle
      did
      >this without the score. His second remark was -- get this -- "I'm
      sure
      >if Wilhelm Furtwaengler had done this tonight that is how it would
      have
      >sounded".
      >Amazing that Furtwaengler lives on like that!

      The thought of WF doing the Rite of Spring. Now there's a fantasy to
      keep
      us up at night. Funny that there were no fakes of that performance
      around! And would he have ever come around to doing more Mahler, say
      the
      9th symphony? Woulda shoulda coulda, as my daughter says.

      Eric

    • Manny Nadelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
        <P>Furtwangler actually did conduct the Rite of Spring in his first season with the New York Philharmonic in 1925, too early for any sonic traces to have survived.   I recently heard Eschenbach perform it with the Philharmonic -- an amazing and different performance that made the piece into a tone poem.  Perhaps that is how Furtwangler's performance sounded.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>----Original Message Follows----
        <DIV></DIV>From: Eric Kisch <KISCHMIR@...>
        <DIV></DIV>Reply-To: furt-l@...
        <DIV></DIV>To: furt-l@...
        <DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [furt-l] Furtwaengler at the Proms?
        <DIV></DIV>Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:29:30 -0400
        <DIV></DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>At 04:58 PM 8/31/2003 -0400, Lee wrote:
        <DIV></DIV>>Simon Rattle just gave a marvelous Rite of Spring with the BPO at
        <DIV></DIV>>the
        <DIV></DIV>>Proms, which I heard from Washington on the internet. The
        <DIV></DIV>>enthusiastic
        <DIV></DIV>>announcer's first remark (as the audience went wild) was that Rattle
        <DIV></DIV>>did
        <DIV></DIV>>this without the score. His second remark was -- get this -- "I'm
        <DIV></DIV>>sure
        <DIV></DIV>>if Wilhelm Furtwaengler had done this tonight that is how it would
        <DIV></DIV>>have
        <DIV></DIV>>sounded".
        <DIV></DIV>>Amazing that Furtwaengler lives on like that!
        <DIV></DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>The thought of WF doing the Rite of Spring. Now there's a fantasy to keep us up at night. Funny that there were no fakes of that performance around! And would he have ever come around to doing more Mahler, say the 9th symphony? Woulda shoulda coulda, as my daughter says.
        <DIV></DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>Eric
        <DIV></DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>
        <DIV></DIV>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
        <DIV></DIV>* POSTED to furt-l - the Furtwangler Mailing List
        <DIV></DIV>* Send new posts to furt-l@...
        <DIV></DIV>* Archives at: http://www.findmail.com/list/furt-l/
      • David Harbin
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
          Didn't Furtwangler and Flagstad perform the
          Immolation scene at a 1948 Prom? And isn't a copy of
          this in the National Sound Archive?

          David Harbin
          Nottingham, UK