[furt-l] Furtwangler 'Great Conductors of the C20' CD?

  • David Harbin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      Dear All,

      I am a bit concerned at what the editors of the
      GCOTC20 series will pull out of the hat by the time
      they (finally) produce their Furtwangler set. The
      recent Mitrolpolous set is apparently a triumph but
      the Mravinsky and Szell are deeply flawed.

      I would suggest the following, bearing in mind this
      series seems to often brag they are issuing previously
      unreleased material. Perhaps others on this list
      could make suggestions to fit on a 2CD set.

      - Mozart symph 40 (VPO)
      - Bruckner No 7 (BPO, live in Berlin, 1949)
      - (provided it's in decent sound) Wgner Immolation
      scene with Flagstad, Live Albert Hall 1948. If the
      sound is dodgy (especially if the soloist is too far
      forward) then the 1952 studio version would be good.
      - Strauss Sinfonia Domestica (BPO,1944)

      If there's room:

      - Beethoven Egmont Ovt (BPO)
      or
      -Beethoven Grosse Fuge (VPO)

      Is this a decent representative spread?

      Kind regards,

      David Harbin
      Nottingham, UK

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
        Strauss Four Last Songs--if it could be found in decent sound.

        John