[furt-l] WF Anniversary

  • Philip Walsh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
      According to a fairly reliable source on another list, on this date in 1925
      Furtwangler made his U.S. conducting debut in New York's Carnegie Hall.
      Anyone know what the program was for that concert?

      And a slightly belated happy new year to all. Remember that 2003 brings the
      fiftieth anniversaries of such Furtwangler recordings as the Beethoven and
      Bartok violin concerti with Menuhin, the Schumann 4th symphony, the Salzburg
      Nozze di Figaro, the Wolf recital with Schwarzkopf, and, best of all (?),
      the Rome Ring performances. Lots of things to celebrate!

      Best,

      Philip Walsh
      Ottawa, Canada
      ______
      Opera should be banned from television...We
      can't let children think it's all right to dress like
      Vikings and go around hollering.
      - Dogbert

    • Ernst Lumpe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
        > According to a fairly reliable source on another list, on this date in
        1925
        > Furtwangler made his U.S. conducting debut in New York's Carnegie Hall.
        > Anyone know what the program was for that concert?

        According to René Trémine's concert listing it was:

        Strauss Don Juan
        Haydn Cello concerto (with Casals)
        Brahms Symphony #1

        EL

      • Lee Schipper
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
          I believe one of John Hunt's WFS newsletters had reproductions of
          several NYPhil programmes.....and I'm SURE I have seen this somewhere.
          Maybe in Dan Gillis' book.

          Lee Schipper
          Co Director, EMBARQ
          World Resources Institute
          10 "G" St NE, Washington DC 20002
          1 202 729 7735
          http://www.embarq.wri.org
          http://www.shellfoundation.org/transport

          >>> bf779@... 01/03/03 11:07AM >>>
          According to a fairly reliable source on another list, on this date in
          1925
          Furtwangler made his U.S. conducting debut in New York's Carnegie
          Hall.
          Anyone know what the program was for that concert?

          And a slightly belated happy new year to all. Remember that 2003
          brings the
          fiftieth anniversaries of such Furtwangler recordings as the Beethoven
          and
          Bartok violin concerti with Menuhin, the Schumann 4th symphony, the
          Salzburg
          Nozze di Figaro, the Wolf recital with Schwarzkopf, and, best of all
          (?),