[furt-l] whither critical thought?

  • thomas ferguson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 7:44 AM
      Some observations concerning the recent thread:
      1. What critical apparatus are people using when they
      write their comments on Brendel, Barenboim,
      Furtwangler, period performances, etc.? If it's
      purely "I know what I like," then there is no real
      "criticism" going on. Real critics (as opposed to
      "reviewers") know the performance practices of most of
      the people who have recorded classical music from its
      beginnings. Agree with them or not, they know from
      where they get their opinions. Much of what has been
      written here seems to come from crankiness. "You
      can't argue with taste." So...
      2. Period instruments have no more ruined classical
      music than has, say, choosing a Bosendorfer over a
      Steinway. There is enough room for people who
      appreciate either or both. I find that I use period
      performances as a commentary on the non-period
      performances that feature in my collection. Period
      instruments do not guarentee a good performance (see
      F's comments on a Matthew Passion he once attended).
      Fine interpretations make for fine music-making.
      3. Brendel is no Edwin Fischer, but, his analytical
      way with a score serves for me the same purpose as
      period intruments (although I do agree that he ought
      to put more varied reprtoire on disc).
      4. Friendly disagreement makes for interesting
      dialogue. Invective makes for wars.
      Respectfully,
      Tom Ferguson