Re: [furt-l] Nyiregyhazi - was totentanz

  • Eric Kisch
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 7:42 AM
      I think Samir's assessment is pretty fair. Nyiregyhazi appeared out of
      the blue for a brief flash when Columbia released some much ballyhooed
      LPs in, AIR, the early 1970s. But the playing was really weird and not
      that captivating and N was by then virtually out of it. The whole thing
      fizzled in no time. The history of music is littered with many such
      characters, alas, for whom one can speculate endlessly about the "might
      have been." A cult figure indeed and I guess I'm not a member. With
      rare exceptions, the obscure remain obscure for well deserved reasons.
      [And now let the attacks begin!]

      Eric

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 8:21 AM
        I have to agree with the consensus that Nyiregyhazi was a flawed genius,
        well-past his prime by the time he hobbled back into the studios.

        Far from being destitute his entire life, N hob-nobbed with the Hungarian
        community in Hollywood. I have a treasured photo of N & the Hungarian
        fiddler Remenyi playing a duet in Bela Lugosi's living room. Oh to have been
        a fly on THAT wall.

        N also supplied the music for the Alan Alda, Peter Lorre film "The BEast with
        Five Fingers" in which a disembodied hand plays the Brahms left-hand
        transcription of the Bach D minor Chaconne.

        I also heard rumors that it was Nyiregyhazi and not Jose Iturbi who was
        featured in the soundtrack of that dismal movie on Chopin. They used
        Iturbi's hands for they were felt to be more photogenic than N's.

        Ray Osnato