[furt-l] Nyiregyhazi

  • JBKreger@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2001
      I would like to relate an experience which has had a life-long profound
      effect on my perception of sound. Many years ago, the pianist Nyiregyhazi was
      recording in San Francisco. His production of sound is legendary. I was
      privileged to attend one of the recording sessions, thanks to my good friend
      Gregor Benko, of the International Piano Library. I was sitting all alone in
      the balcony of the rather large Shrine Auditorium. I can never forget the
      sensation when this artist---or perhaps I should say, magician!---produced
      the wondrous sounds which emanated from his unlimited palette. I could not
      see his fingers leave the keys---ever! Yet the crescendi, the fortissimi,
      were as if there were an earthquake, or something primordial like that. The
      sound seemed as if it was coming from all around me, but never directly from
      the piano. And it was massive when called for! "Loud" would neither be an
      accurate nor an appropriate description. Rather it was as if one were
      uplifted, enveloped! I have never heard anything since to compare with this,
      and indeed, the experience has influenced my whole concept of sound.

      James Kreger, 'cellist
    • samir golescu
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2001
        On Tue, 1 May 2001 JBKreger@... wrote:

        > I would like to relate an experience which has had a life-long profound
        > effect on my perception of sound. Many years ago, the pianist Nyiregyhazi was
        > recording in San Francisco. His production of sound is legendary. I was
        > privileged to attend one of the recording sessions, thanks to my good friend
        > Gregor Benko, of the International Piano Library. I was sitting all alone in
        > the balcony of the rather large Shrine Auditorium. I can never forget the
        > sensation when this artist---or perhaps I should say, magician!---produced
        > the wondrous sounds which emanated from his unlimited palette.

        Thanks for sharing this experience. I don't want to sound as trying to
        fake Rabbinic wisdom, but I somehow share, successively or simultaneously,
        BOTH Nyregyhazi's admirers and detractors sentiments. I think his
        recordings are seriously flawed, but there *was* something genuine
        left in there....

        In a Japanese recital recorded [also] late in his life, the old pianist
        can be seen playing as you say, apparently effortlessly, with hands
        never leaving the keyboard, but with huge dynamic range, making out of one
        of the little Tchaikovsky "Seasons" miniatures a great tragedy.... take it
        or leave it, the man wasn't ordinary....

        I hope some better, early recordings of him surface sometimes!

        regards,
        SG