Re: [furt-l] Jochum Parsifal and Klemperer Bruckner 5th.

  • Deryk Barker
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
      Thus spake martin holland (martinholland@...):

      > I haven't taken part in this forum before, but I wondered if people have
      > heard - and also possibly know of CD's of - the following performances I
      > have had on olf 1/4" tapes

      Martin, I don't know of any releases of these performnances but there
      are people on this list who could digitise those tapes and produce CDs
      from them. (I'd certainly be interested in the Klemperer B5 and the
      Jochum Tchaik 6)
      --
      |Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
      |Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to. |

    • David Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
        At 01:50 PM 10/31/00 +0000, Martin Holland wrote:
        >I haven't taken part in this forum before, but I wondered if people have
        >heard - and also possibly know of CD's of - the following performances I
        >have had on olf 1/4" tapes: A marvellous Parsifal conducted by Jochum made
        >c.1970,

        Jochum's 1971 Parsifal is included on a CD-ROM of Bayreuth performances
        assembled by Mike Richter and distributed by
        www.houseofopera.com.

        The CD-ROMs contain mp3 files, and can only be played on a computer. You
        may also want to look at Richter's site to read about the methods of
        playing them on your computer.

        http://www.mrichter.com

        The technology has its limitations, but the prices are extraordinarily
        reasonable--$8.50 per CD-ROM for a dozen or more complete operas.

        David Hamilton
        New York City
        davidham@...

      • Tom Simone
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
          Let me add my appreciation to David Hamilton's for the Mike Richter CD-ROM
          project. You need reasonable speakers or headphones with your computer to get
          a good idea of the sound. At its best the sound is quite good. Sometimes
          there are drop outs etc.

          I would also direct attention to the two Goodal Wagner performances on
          Richter's first Wagner disc: DIE MEISTERSINGER from (I think) 1968 and a
          HOLLANDER (both with Norman Bailey and in English).

          There are also quite good BBC versions of the early Wagner operas on the disk.

          Few of these performances have been available in any form. I have a few
          english friends who are astounded to have access to the Goodal material that
          has never before, to my knowledcge, been available.

          Best,

          Tom Simone

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2000
            In a message dated 10/31/00 7:13:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            martinholland@... writes:

            << A marvellous Parsifal conducted by Jochum made
            c.1970, >>
            Who sang? How does Jochum's approach compare to the famous Knappertsbusch
            interpretations? Regards, Steve Morris
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2000
              In a message dated 11/1/00 7:43:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              tsimone@... writes:

              << There are also quite good BBC versions of the early Wagner operas on the
              disk.

              Few of these performances have been available in any form. I have a few
              english friends who are astounded to have access to the Goodal material that
              has never before, to my knowledcge, been available.

              All right, all right, I'll give it a try, even if I can't listen to them in
              my car! The prices ARE irresistable. I was especially interested by Mike
              Richter's long list of Sawallisch-led Strauss operas, since I may have heard
              some of those productions live. Also, Carlos Kleiber Rosenkavaliers, which
              were everyone's favorite treats during my most intensive years at the
              Bayerische Staatsoper. Among the Wagner recordings, it's an inexpensive way
              for listeners to sample Kna's great Meistersinger interpretation, or Boehm's
              passionate Tristan. Ah, technology! Best, Steve Morris
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2000
                In a message dated 11/04/2000 1:26:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                Morrstock@... writes:

                << << A marvellous Parsifal conducted by Jochum made
                c.1970, >>
                Who sang? How does Jochum's approach compare to the famous Knappertsbusch
                interpretations? Regards, Steve Morris >>

                Parsifal - Sandor Konya
                Amfortas - Thomas Stewart
                Titurel - Karl Ridderbusch
                Gurnemanz - Franz Crass
                Klingsor - Gerd Nienstedt
                Kundry - Janis Martin

                I will leave the comparison to Knappertsbusch to others on the list. Two
                different views of the score - each satisfying, to me, in its own way.

                Ray