RE: [furt-l] EMI's new WF Eroica

  • John Thomas
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2000
      At 10:12 PM -0400 8/31/00, Russell W. Miller wrote:
      >John Thomas writes:
      >
      >> Unfortunately, it has been replaced by the September page. Is
      >> there any
      >> way to see if MDT still has the Furtwangler/Beethoven in stock?
      >
      >Send them email; they reply promptly, in my experience. I got my copy from
      >them a few days ago.
      >
      >Russell

      Thanks for the suggestion!
      --
      -Best wishes,
      John Thomas

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 8/28/2000 8:23:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        peter.byon@... writes:

        << Has anyone heard this recently released Salzburg performance (coupled with
        some Brandenburgs)? Detailed comments would be most welcome.

        Actually, I bagged it this summer at Beck's in Munich, along with the 51
        Salzburg Ninth, and Arte Nova's magnificent new recordings of the
        Furtwaengler 1 and 3. My impressions on one hearing are that the Bach
        concerti are indeed in better sound than ever before. I admit that they are
        not performances I wish to listen to often, however, notwithstanding liner
        notes quoting critic Joachim Kaiser's panagyrics about this very performance.
        The Eroica is fine, as expected, although I doubt it will top anyone's list
        of WF Eroicas. I was actually more enthusiastic about the hitherto unknown
        Ninth. It strikes me as the best WF WPO recording of the work--by a very
        significant margin. The sound is clear and deep enough for the listener to
        hear all the detail. There is a linear strength to the performanmce, a
        clarity, coupled with extremely intense orchestral playing. All around, it
        joins my personal list of greatest Ninths by WF: 42 BPO, 51 and 54 Bayreuth,
        54 Luzern. Kudos to EMI for unearthing this gem: and happy hunting to them
        as they search, I hope, for more. I also must add a plug for George
        Alexander Albrecht and the Staatskapelle Weimar, for probing, well-played
        recordings of the WF First and Third, at bargain prices on Arte Nova.
        Albrecht proves what I suspected: the First is by and large as fine a piece
        as the other two symphonies. He also almost makes the case for the last
        movement of the Third, although I will opt for the three movement form as
        being a much more effective work. Anyone at all interested in Furtwaengler
        as composer must, absolutely must, rush out and find these recordings.
        Recall, too, that the Weimar band was once Abendroth's orchestra, and Richard
        Strauss' too. All in all it has been a banner summer for Furtwaengler
        collectors. Regards, Steve Morris
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 9, 2000
          Is the new Furtwangler Beethoven 9th on Orfeo or EMI? Is it available in this
          country or as an import only. Japanese? Thanks...
          Chaz
        • daniel Orenstein
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 10, 2000
            === The original message was multipart MIME ===
            === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

            What country?? Mexico??

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 10, 2000
              Orfeo C 533 001 B.

              daniel Orenstein <oren_ns@...>@... on 09/10/2000 09:39:50 AM