[furt-l] Ring recordings

  • Ponzetto
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 11, 2000
      Of all unlikely sources, "The Economist" is providing this week a list of
      the (allegedly) greatest complete recordings of Wagner's Ring.
      I am rather curious to know what list-members think about it.
      The selected performances, in chronological order and with "The Economist"'s
      own commentary, are:

      1927-32; HMV's potted Ring on Pearl; "How the Ring could once be sung"
      1950; Furtwaengler, La Scala (M&A); "Poor sound; magisterial interpretation"
      1952; Keilberth, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Celebrated live recording"
      1953; Krauss, Bayreuth (Gala); "Celebrated live recording"
      1956; Knappertsbusch, Bayreuth (M&A); "Strong cast"
      1958-65; Solti, Wiener Phil. (Decca); "Favourite of many critics, not all"
      1960; Kempe, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Lyrical, well balanced, under-rated"
      1966; Boehm, Bayreuth (Philips); "Dramatic live recording"
      1967-70; Karajan, Berliner Phil. (DGG); "Virtuoso playing, inconsistent
      cast"
      1973-77; Goodall, English National Opera (EMI); "Weighty, cult recording for
      English speakers"
      1979-80; Boulez, Bayreuth (Philips); "Fleet, transparent, some find shallow"
      1991-92; Barenboim, Bayreuth (Teldec); "Strong cast"

      Thank you for your comments,

      Giacomo

    • Eric Kisch
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 11, 2000
        Is this the age of brevity or wha'? Over two hundred hours of music
        making summed up in less than 100 words. Less than half a dozen per
        recorded Ring. Comments to provide instant expertise for those who
        cannot/will not ever listen. Would YOU use this as a guide? How about
        those orchestral one CD Ring Without Words (or sense) -- all the best
        bits you'll ever need? Actually, all you'll ever need is Anna Russell's
        analysis. Or this colloquial one liner: Wag, the Dog!

        Yours for brevity,

        Eric
        Been there, done that, can't remember...

      • John Thomas
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 11, 2000
          At 8:47 PM +0200 8/11/00, Ponzetto wrote:
          >Of all unlikely sources, "The Economist" is providing this week a list of
          >the (allegedly) greatest complete recordings of Wagner's Ring.
          >I am rather curious to know what list-members think about it.
          >The selected performances, in chronological order and with "The Economist"'s
          >own commentary, are:
          >
          >1927-32; HMV's potted Ring on Pearl; "How the Ring could once be sung"
          >1950; Furtwaengler, La Scala (M&A); "Poor sound; magisterial interpretation"
          >1952; Keilberth, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Celebrated live recording"
          >1953; Krauss, Bayreuth (Gala); "Celebrated live recording"
          >1956; Knappertsbusch, Bayreuth (M&A); "Strong cast"
          >1958-65; Solti, Wiener Phil. (Decca); "Favourite of many critics, not all"
          >1960; Kempe, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Lyrical, well balanced, under-rated"
          >1966; Boehm, Bayreuth (Philips); "Dramatic live recording"
          >1967-70; Karajan, Berliner Phil. (DGG); "Virtuoso playing, inconsistent
          >cast"
          >1973-77; Goodall, English National Opera (EMI); "Weighty, cult recording for
          >English speakers"
          >1979-80; Boulez, Bayreuth (Philips); "Fleet, transparent, some find shallow"
          >1991-92; Barenboim, Bayreuth (Teldec); "Strong cast"
          >
          >Thank you for your comments,
          >
          >Giacomo

          What was the context for this pronouncement? Was the list
          compiler named, or was this in the nature of an "Economist" editorial?
        • samir ghiocel golescu
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 11, 2000
            That's what we can safely call a truly... economic review of the "Rings".
            Reader's Digest gains colossal proportions, by comparison (0;

          • Philip B. Walsh
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 12, 2000
              Er... wasn't there another complete "Ring" around 1953?
              Italian performance? Fellow named . . . Furtwangler?
              Surely that one would have been worth four or five words?

              Regards

              Philip Walsh
              Ottawa, Canada

              >Of all unlikely sources, "The Economist" is providing this week a list of
              >the (allegedly) greatest complete recordings of Wagner's Ring.
              >I am rather curious to know what list-members think about it.
              >The selected performances, in chronological order and with "The Economist"'s
              >own commentary, are:
              >
              >1927-32; HMV's potted Ring on Pearl; "How the Ring could once be sung"
              >1950; Furtwaengler, La Scala (M&A); "Poor sound; magisterial interpretation"
              >1952; Keilberth, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Celebrated live recording"
              >1953; Krauss, Bayreuth (Gala); "Celebrated live recording"
              >1956; Knappertsbusch, Bayreuth (M&A); "Strong cast"
              >1958-65; Solti, Wiener Phil. (Decca); "Favourite of many critics, not all"
              >1960; Kempe, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Lyrical, well balanced, under-rated"
              >1966; Boehm, Bayreuth (Philips); "Dramatic live recording"
              >1967-70; Karajan, Berliner Phil. (DGG); "Virtuoso playing, inconsistent
              >cast"
              >1973-77; Goodall, English National Opera (EMI); "Weighty, cult recording for
              >English speakers"
              >1979-80; Boulez, Bayreuth (Philips); "Fleet, transparent, some find shallow"
              >1991-92; Barenboim, Bayreuth (Teldec); "Strong cast"
              >
              >Thank you for your comments,
              >
              >Giacomo

            • Eric Kisch
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 12, 2000
                Mr Ponzetto: I too was just having a bit of fun with your posting - without
                in any way taking offence at you! The joke is with the Economist, which
                summed up so many hours of music making with such snap comments.

                My allusions, I had hoped, would not be so unknown.

                > Is this the age of brevity or wha'?

                Here I simply allude to the joke about Sylvester Stallone (of Rocky fame)
                playing Hamlet: To be or wha'?

                >>Actually, all you'll ever need is Anna Russell's analysis.

                Surely every Wagnerite is familiar with this comedienne's masterly "Analysis
                of Wagner's "Ring." It gets funnier the more you know of the work. But it
                works only if you have a sense of humor about this grosse Gesammtkunstwerk,
                something I hope the list members have.

                >>Or this colloquial one liner: Wag, the Dog!

                Wag the Dog is a mordantly witty and dark movie about an American president
                so desperate to get reelected that he stages a full war under the leadership
                of a Hollywood director. ("War is too important to be left to the
                generals.") It is based on a wonderful and scary novel by Larry Beinhart
                (sp.??) called "An American Hero," which purports to tell the real story
                behind the Gulf War. Not for paranoids! I used the movie title to pun on
                Wag(ner)...

                > Been there, done that, can't remember...

                Saw this on the back of a baseball cap worn by an elderly gent in an
                elevator at the Cleveland Clinic some months ago. It's haunted me ever
                since...

                Sorry to explain the jokes, but I want to be sure that Mr Ponzetto realizes
                I meant no negative comments against him and his posting of the Economist
                wrap-up. It was my scream against the TV Guide/NY Times instant
                reviews/summaries of movies kind of style that was being applied to the
                Ring.

                Now, let me make one thing perfectly clear...*

                Eric

                * This is another allusion that I won't explain, not being a crook.

              • samir ghiocel golescu
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 12, 2000
                  > I used the movie title to pun on Wag(ner)...

                  That was rather *vague*, so thanks for the explanation... (-;

                  BTW, one of the Internet's music newsgroups discussed once, a la longue,
                  believe it or not, on the enticing topic: "Was Wagner's Dog Gay?"

                  So everything is possible, after all....

                  looking for a shelter,
                  yours,
                  SG

                • Eric Kisch
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 13, 2000
                    Mr Ponzetto: Borrow a copy of Anna Russell's Ring Analysis and listen
                    several times. Humor in a different language is always difficult, but
                    this is worth the effort. It will color your view of Wagner ever
                    after. What do native English speakers on the list have to say about
                    this classic? If the answer is "SNIFF!", then I resign from the list on
                    the spot!

                    Eric

                  • Conscience
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 20, 2000
                      1991-1992 Barenboim: Strong cast... hmm... certainly as strong as the cast
                      of La Bohème which will be soon released by Decca...

                      Sébastien
                      Conscience.

                      > Of all unlikely sources, "The Economist" is providing this week a list of
                      > the (allegedly) greatest complete recordings of Wagner's Ring.
                      > I am rather curious to know what list-members think about it.
                      > The selected performances, in chronological order and with "The
                      Economist"'s
                      > own commentary, are:
                      >
                      > 1927-32; HMV's potted Ring on Pearl; "How the Ring could once be sung"
                      > 1950; Furtwaengler, La Scala (M&A); "Poor sound; magisterial
                      interpretation"
                      > 1952; Keilberth, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Celebrated live recording"
                      > 1953; Krauss, Bayreuth (Gala); "Celebrated live recording"
                      > 1956; Knappertsbusch, Bayreuth (M&A); "Strong cast"
                      > 1958-65; Solti, Wiener Phil. (Decca); "Favourite of many critics, not all"
                      > 1960; Kempe, Bayreuth (Melodram); "Lyrical, well balanced, under-rated"
                      > 1966; Boehm, Bayreuth (Philips); "Dramatic live recording"
                      > 1967-70; Karajan, Berliner Phil. (DGG); "Virtuoso playing, inconsistent
                      > cast"
                      > 1973-77; Goodall, English National Opera (EMI); "Weighty, cult recording
                      for
                      > English speakers"
                      > 1979-80; Boulez, Bayreuth (Philips); "Fleet, transparent, some find
                      shallow"
                      > 1991-92; Barenboim, Bayreuth (Teldec); "Strong cast"
                      >
                      > Thank you for your comments,
                      >
                      > Giacomo

                    • Demian Cho
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 21, 2000
                        === The original message was multipart MIME ===
                        === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

                        I generally agree with the article. I especially glad that they mentioned
                        Bohm's recording. Many of listeners often think Bohm as a conservative and
                        boring conductor, but his (especially live recordings) Wagner and Richard
                        Strauss are the best stereo recordings in my opinion. Also, if you can find
                        cheap version of Krauss (which I have. It was about $50 US for whole set), it
                        is a must. For me $50 is really good deal for live Hans Hotter alone. (He is in
                        better shape here than even Kna's set, not to mention Solti).

                        Cheers

                        Demian

                        Conscience wrote:

                        > 1991-1992 Barenboim: Strong cast... hmm... certainly as strong as the cast
                        > of La Boh me which will be soon released by Decca...
                        >
                        > S bastien
                        > Conscience.

                        Demian H.J. Cho

                        Center for Gravitation and Cosmology
                        University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

                        === MIME part removed : text/html; ===

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 21, 2000
                          Please suggest us an address to buy it.

                          MArtin

                          >From: Demian Cho <qg@...>
                          >To: furt-l@...
                          >Subject: Re: [furt-l] Ring recordings
                          >Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:50:42 -0500
                          >
                          > === The original message was multipart MIME ===
                          > === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===
                          >
                          >I generally agree with the article. I especially glad that they mentioned
                          >Bohm's recording. Many of listeners often think Bohm as a conservative and
                          >boring conductor, but his (especially live recordings) Wagner and Richard
                          >Strauss are the best stereo recordings in my opinion. Also, if you can find
                          >cheap version of Krauss (which I have. It was about $50 US for whole set),
                          >it
                          >is a must. For me $50 is really good deal for live Hans Hotter alone. (He
                          >is in
                          >better shape here than even Kna's set, not to mention Solti).
                          >
                          >Cheers
                          >
                          >Demian
                          >

                          >Conscience wrote:
                          >
                          > > 1991-1992 Barenboim: Strong cast... hmm... certainly as strong as the
                          >cast
                          > > of La Boh me which will be soon released by Decca...

                          >bastien
                          > > Conscience.

                        • martin richard
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 21, 2000
                            Please suggest us an address to buy the Krauss Wagner Ring

                            MArtin

                          • martin richard
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 21, 2000
                              Please suggest us an address to buy the Krauss Wagner Ring. I will nedd two
                              copies. One for a friend. Somebody is already going to make a copies for
                              me, but I also need the original if it is possible for a richer friend.

                              MArtin

                            • John Thomas
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 21, 2000
                                Those interested in the Bohm Ring Cycle can find it being auctioned
                                at Yahoo! Auctions http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/auction/34816428
                                The starting bid is $67 and it has already been through one auction
                                without a single bid. No, I am not the seller!
                                -John Thomas

                                At 10:50 AM -0500 8/21/00, Demian Cho wrote:
                                > === The original message was multipart MIME ===
                                > === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===
                                >
                                >I generally agree with the article. I especially glad that they mentioned
                                >Bohm's recording. Many of listeners often think Bohm as a conservative and
                                >boring conductor, but his (especially live recordings) Wagner and Richard
                                >Strauss are the best stereo recordings in my opinion. Also, if you can find
                                >cheap version of Krauss (which I have. It was about $50 US for whole set), it
                                >is a must. For me $50 is really good deal for live Hans Hotter
                                >alone. (He is in
                                >better shape here than even Kna's set, not to mention Solti).
                                >
                                >Cheers
                                >
                                >Demian
                              • Demian Cho
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 22, 2000
                                  === The original message was multipart MIME ===
                                  === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

                                  I just checked Tower records (US) web page.
                                  It's there for $59.99.

                                  It is from Gala, which is not that great recording company, and I also had a
                                  bronzing problem. But, it is definitely worth buying in my opinion. It is one
                                  of great recording of ring cycle for one of cheaper price.

                                  http://www.towerrecords.com/product.asp?pfid=1224505&urlid=73113500be7365029403e1226897a7479ab9deccac8d95fa

                                  Demian

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 22, 2000
                                    At 12:05 PM -0500 8/22/00, Demian Cho wrote:

                                    >I just checked Tower records (US) web page.
                                    >It's there for $59.99.
                                    >
                                    >It is from Gala, which is not that great recording company, and I also had a
                                    >bronzing problem. But, it is definitely worth buying in my opinion. It is one
                                    >of great recording of ring cycle for one of cheaper price.
                                    >
                                    >http://www.towerrecords.com/product.asp?pfid=1224505&urlid=73113500be7365029403e1226897a7479ab9deccac8d95fa
                                    >
                                    >Demian

                                    But the same recording is $43.90 at MyMusic, my own favorite
                                    source.
                                    http://www.mymusic.com/product_classical.asp?curr=0&muzenbr=176310
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 28, 2000
                                      In a message dated 8/21/00 9:00:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time, qg@...
                                      writes:

                                      << I especially glad that they mentioned
                                      Bohm's recording. Many of listeners often think Bohm as a conservative and
                                      boring conductor, but his (especially live recordings) Wagner and Richard
                                      Strauss are the best stereo recordings in my opinion. >>
                                      Hear hear! Boehm's semi-live 66 Tristan is grippingly dramatic. I find his
                                      Frau ohne Schatten infinitely preferable to, say, a cheap squishy Karajan
                                      performance I recently acquired. Boehm's 47 Arabella from salzburg and his
                                      57 Figaro are exquisite. His war time Otello and Macbeth are fascinating
                                      examples of German Verdi style mid century, etc. etc. An underrated
                                      conductor, certainly. regards, Steve Morris
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 28, 2000
                                        In a message dated 8/22/00 10:07:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time, qg@...
                                        writes:

                                        << But, it is definitely worth buying in my opinion. It is one
                                        of great recording of ring cycle for one of cheaper price.

                                        One knowledgable critic (Ardoin?) has called the Krauss Ring the greatest
                                        Ring performance in existence. While I doubt there is ever such a thing as
                                        THE greatest performance of a masterpiece as inexhaustable as the Ring, I do
                                        find Krauss to be in my very top group of favorites. His cast is surely at
                                        least the equal of Furtwaegler's 1953 Ring (my own choice for best conducted
                                        Ring). I admit to being a devoted admirer of Varnay's Bruennhilde: as
                                        dramatically involved as Moedl, but with a stronger, more powerful voice.
                                        Hotter was the supreme Wotan of the age, and Windgassen never sounded better.
                                        To sample the splendors of this performnace, just try the great duet at the
                                        end of Siegfried. Krauss is dramatically sure, grasps the whole sweep of the
                                        epic structure, achieves a rich, dark orchestral sound. To my personal
                                        desert island I simply will not go unless I can take the 53 WF, the Krauss,
                                        and the 56 Kna (and the 50 Scala as well, thrown in for good measure). Of
                                        course, I wouldn't go without my seven favorite Tristans, either, and at
                                        least three Knappertsbusch Parsifals... Steve Morris
                                      • Philip B. Walsh
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 29, 2000
                                          Amen to Steve's comments on Bohm. For me, his Bayreuth Ring
                                          is my standard -- at least as far as stereo Rings are concerned.

                                          Another favourite Bohm is his 1938 Stuttgart Die Hochzeit
                                          des Figaro, featuring Mathieu Ahlersmeyer, Margarethe
                                          Teschemacher, Maria Cebotari, and Paul Schoeffler. As you
                                          might expect, it's in German and uses a piano to accompany
                                          the recitatives. All in all, a wonderful performance.

                                          (BTW, does anyone know if this has ever been issued on CD?
                                          My copy is on three LP's issued by something called "Top
                                          Classic Historia" label in 1972.)

                                          Regards

                                          Philip Walsh
                                          Ottawa, Canada

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 29, 2000
                                            >(BTW, does anyone know if this has ever been issued on CD?
                                            >My copy is on three LP's issued by something called "Top
                                            >Classic Historia" label in 1972.)

                                            It is available on 2 CDs on Preiser CD 90035 and on the low price label
                                            Cantus Classics.

                                            O. Wurl

                                          • Boyd D. Cathey
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 29, 2000
                                              Philip,
                                              That 1938 Boehm HOCHZEIT DES FIGARO was issued by Preiser (cat. #
                                              90035) several years ago; I am uncertain if it is still in print. The
                                              transfer was decent, and it is truly a wonderful performance.
                                              I also second Steve's comments about RING cycles. I would include the
                                              1956 Knappertsbusch, the 1953 Krauss AND Keilberth, the Furtwangler cycles
                                              and the 1949 Moralt/Vienna (with an absolutely astonishing Gertrude
                                              Grob-Prandl as Brunnhilde). I would not cast off the 1960 Kempe, either. All
                                              in all, it's hard to choose just one....

                                              Boyd Cathey

                                              >Amen to Steve's comments on Bohm. For me, his Bayreuth Ring
                                              >is my standard -- at least as far as stereo Rings are concerned.
                                              >
                                              >Another favourite Bohm is his 1938 Stuttgart Die Hochzeit
                                              >des Figaro, featuring Mathieu Ahlersmeyer, Margarethe
                                              >Teschemacher, Maria Cebotari, and Paul Schoeffler. As you
                                              >might expect, it's in German and uses a piano to accompany
                                              >the recitatives. All in all, a wonderful performance.
                                              >
                                              >(BTW, does anyone know if this has ever been issued on CD?
                                              >My copy is on three LP's issued by something called "Top
                                              >Classic Historia" label in 1972.)
                                              >
                                              >Regards
                                              >
                                              >Philip Walsh
                                              >Ottawa, Canada
                                              >

                                              >>In a message dated 8/21/00 9:00:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time, qg@...
                                              >>writes:
                                              >>
                                              >><< I especially glad that they mentioned
                                              >> Bohm's recording. Many of listeners often think Bohm as a conservative
                                              and
                                              >> boring conductor, but his (especially live recordings) Wagner and Richard
                                              >> Strauss are the best stereo recordings in my opinion. >>
                                              >>Hear hear! Boehm's semi-live 66 Tristan is grippingly dramatic. I find
                                              his
                                              >>Frau ohne Schatten infinitely preferable to, say, a cheap squishy Karajan
                                              >>performance I recently acquired. Boehm's 47 Arabella from salzburg and
                                              his
                                              >>57 Figaro are exquisite. His war time Otello and Macbeth are fascinating
                                              >>examples of German Verdi style mid century, etc. etc. An underrated
                                              >>conductor, certainly. regards, Steve Morris
                                            • David Harbin
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 2, 2000
                                                Dear All,

                                                I do not enjoy Bohm's Ring as it is too swift,
                                                especially in Gotterdammerung. However, Bohm's 1944
                                                live VPO Ariadne auf Naxos (in Strauss' presence) is
                                                one of the finest Opera recordings I have ever heard.
                                                Maria Reining (Ariadne) is simply staggering, with a
                                                soaring, creamy voice of real power. The final scene
                                                is of transcendent beauty. Balances are excellent (
                                                for once the voices are not too far forward ) and the
                                                sound is solid and clear. Listen to the thwacks on
                                                the timpanii at the end or the acidic woodwinds and
                                                virile strings. A magicical recording.

                                                David H
                                                Nottingham, UK.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 9, 2000
                                                  In a message dated 8/29/2000 12:04:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                                  bf779@... writes:

                                                  << Another favourite Bohm is his 1938 Stuttgart Die Hochzeit
                                                  des Figaro, featuring Mathieu Ahlersmeyer, Margarethe
                                                  Teschemacher, Maria Cebotari, and Paul Schoeffler. As you
                                                  might expect, it's in German and uses a piano to accompany
                                                  the recitatives. All in all, a wonderful performance. >>
                                                  I'll certainly keep an eye out for that one. Meanwhile, I feel compelled to
                                                  sing the praises of the 44 Meistersinger under Boehm on Preiser, which I
                                                  just listened to carefully in its entirety. It is, to put it simply, a
                                                  perfect performance. Where to start in its praise? Why, with the text, I
                                                  think. The recorded sound is so well and naturally balanced that I (and two
                                                  kids) could understand every word of the text. The incompable subtlties of
                                                  Schoeffler's Sachs interpretation are all the more convincing when heard
                                                  with the intimacy of the microphone. Almost equally good with the words is
                                                  the vastly underappreciated August Seider, to whom Gebhardt Records has just
                                                  devoted an entire CD. While Seider's instrument clearly was of huge size and
                                                  heroic dimensions( were he singing today he would be the dominant Wagnerian
                                                  in the world), he was able to sing with musical phrasing and real ardor,
                                                  which largely compensates for a somewhat dry tone. (Svanholm and Windgassen
                                                  were two other outstanding Wagner tenors with rather "dry" voices.) Seefried
                                                  is a predictably charming Eva, and Kunz, of course, is definitive. The WPO
                                                  play with unfailingly beautiful tone (no surprise there), and Boehm leads the
                                                  work lovingly, with moderate tempi, effortlessly making the orchestral
                                                  "points" while the drama ebbs and flows above. Incidentally, this is
                                                  precisely how Furtwaegler described his own favorite Meistersinger
                                                  performance, under Hans Richter! While the recorded sound favors the voices,
                                                  there is ample richness in the orchestra, something I often miss in older
                                                  Bayreuth recordings (though not in Abendroth's 43 Meistersinger). In short,
                                                  this Boehm Meistersinger gives me tremendous pleasure (the chorus could be
                                                  better, though). Just now I would rank it with the 43 Abendroth and the
                                                  magnificently conducted Kna 52 as the best trio of Meistersinger I know.
                                                  Unlike the other two, which have received laudatory attention by the critics,
                                                  this lovely performance seems to be overlooked...just like Boehm himself
                                                  often is. Steve Morris
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 9, 2000
                                                    In a message dated 8/29/2000 5:13:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                                    parsifal@... writes:

                                                    << I would include the
                                                    1956 Knappertsbusch, the 1953 Krauss AND Keilberth, the Furtwangler cycles
                                                    and the 1949 Moralt/Vienna (with an absolutely astonishing Gertrude
                                                    Grob-Prandl as Brunnhilde). I would not cast off the 1960 Kempe, either. All
                                                    in all, it's hard to choose just one.... >>
                                                    The Moralt Rheingold and Siegfried are now available at Berkshire, as is a 52
                                                    Goetterdaemmerung by Keilberth, and the entire Kempe 60 Ring. What a Golden
                                                    Age for Wagner collectors. (Now, if we can only keep The Successors from
                                                    turning Bayreuth into another Salzburg jetset classical supermarket.....)
                                                    Steve Morris