[furt-l] I: RAI Parsifal

  • Ponzetto
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2000
      I am not sure whether this may be of any interest for list-members, but RAI
      Radio 3 is broadcasting tonight - from midnight to six in Italy, which
      should be 22:00 - 4:00 GMT unless I am being fooled by Daylight Saving
      Time - a 1956 Jochum Parsifal from their archives. They claim the cast is
      outstanding, but I have been unable to learn who is actually singing.

      At any rate, I am writing this because it seems (though I cannot guarantee
      anything) that it is possible to listen to the programmes of Radio RAI via
      satellite and even via Internet through the website www.rai.it
      Perhaps this is worth a try.

      Best regards,

      Giacomo Ponzetto

      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2000
        In a message dated 5/13/00 9:49:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        ponzetto@... writes:

        << a 1956 Jochum Parsifal from their archives. They claim the cast is
        outstanding, but I have been unable to learn who is actually singing.

        Giacomo, Thanks for this information (though, alas, I will not be able to try
        to find the broadcast). Do let us know who is singing. Has anyone heard the
        newly remastered Furtwaengler 1950 Ring on a small, and to me, unknown,
        German label? It is newly available in a flimsy box at a bargain price. I
        am always searching for the sonically optimal version of the incandescent
        performance. Regards, Steve Morris
      • Simon Clark
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2000
          Here's the cast, gentlemen...

          Modl, Windgassen, Weber, Frantz, Pernerstorfer and
          Uhde.

          Simon Clark

          --- Morrstock@... wrote: > In a message dated
          5/13/00 9:49:13 AM Pacific

          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2000
            Thanks Simon, you saved me the trouble.

            While sauntering through the NYC Subway system I missed a step and am now in
            a cast to the knee, having broken my heel. I have been listening to those
            Kleiber items and am re-mastering the Rheingold. It seems the source
            material was pitched half a step sharp throughout. I think i have finally
            gotten it down to pitch and it will be on it's way shortly.

            The Gotterdammerung is also inconsistent in pitch and will require some work
            too. Did I ask if you had the Rosenkavalier from Teatro colon?

            Did you receive all the packages? The last one I sent was the 1970 Beethoven
            cycle. Comments?

            All the best,

            Hop-a-long Osnato
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2000
              In a message dated 5/13/00 10:30:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              simonclark99@... writes:

              << Here's the cast, gentlemen...

              Modl, Windgassen, Weber, Frantz, Pernerstorfer and
              Uhde. >>
              Well, those cards will play!
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2000
                In a message dated 5/14/00 6:53:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Rorel@...
                writes:

                << those
                Kleiber items and am re-mastering the Rheingold. It seems the source
                material was pitched half a step sharp throughout. I think i have finally
                gotten it down to pitch and it will be on it's way shortly.

                The Gotterdammerung is also inconsistent in pitch >>
                Wait a minute. WHAT Kleiber recordings? I had no idea there was an Erich
                Kleiber Ring in existence, and am dying for information. Judging from his
                Colon Tristan, he was a stellar Wagner conductor. Who's in the cast? Is
                this a Ring to rank with the immortal trio of Furtwaengler-Kna-Krauss?
                Details please. Steve Morris
              • Gil Ariel Zilkha
                Message 7 of 7 , May 14, 2000
                  I just noticed the Kempe Ring selling at Tower Records for around
                  $60. I'm sure this is also a top-notch version along with the ones you
                  mentioned.