[furt-l] Beethoven 7th

  • Gabriel Parra-Blessing
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
      A few days ago, a gentleman on this board indicated that he was interested
      in selling a DG CD transfer of a 1953 Furtwangler performance of Beethoven's
      7th. I am very interested myself in acquiring that recording. However, I
      am a little skeptical about the means by which we may go about completing
      such a transaction. while I am more than willing to pay the $12 American
      dollars asked for that recording, I am less willing to send a check to a
      person I don't know for an item I may or may not receive and which may be in
      less than acceptable condition. I am open so suggestions about the best way
      to resolve this issue. Please e-mail me at
      gparra-blessing@... at your earliest possible convenience
      if your offer still stands. Thank you.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999

        << I am open so suggestions about the best way
        to resolve this issue. >>

        It is called 'trust'.

        Ray
      • Gabriel Parra-Blessing
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
          Ok, fair enough. If you're still selling, I'm buying. Just out of
          curiosity, though: why have you chosen to sell this recording? I suspect
          duplication is involved.

          ><< I am open so suggestions about the best way
          > to resolve this issue. >>
          >
          >It is called 'trust'.
          >
          >Ray
        • samir ghiocel golescu
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
            On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Gabriel Parra-Blessing wrote:

            > A few days ago, a gentleman on this board indicated that he was interested
            > in selling a DG CD transfer of a 1953 Furtwangler performance of Beethoven's
            > 7th. I am very interested myself in acquiring that recording. However, I
            > am a little skeptical about the means by which we may go about completing
            > such a transaction. while I am more than willing to pay the $12 American
            > dollars asked for that recording, I am less willing to send a check to a
            > person I don't know for an item I may or may not receive and which may be in
            > less than acceptable condition.

            Yes, you are *soooo* right. We know that Mr. Thump's list is infested with
            international crooks, listed by Interpol, Mossad, KGB (or whatever is its
            name now) and, even more scaring, by the Romanian Securitate.

            On the other hand, the gentleman in question can be less than willing to
            send the CD in advance, to a person he doesn't know, for a check that
            could come or not, could bounce or not etc. etc. etc.

            This dilemma is insoluble. Dixit!

            regards,
            SG

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
              On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Gabriel Parra-Blessing wrote:

              > Ok, fair enough. If you're still selling, I'm buying. Just out of
              > curiosity, though: why have you chosen to sell this recording? I suspect
              > duplication is involved.

              I contacted both Scotland Yard and Mr. Sherlock Holmes. We have to go to
              the bottom of this, absolutely!! (:

            • Gabriel Parra-Blessing
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 1999
                To all concerned:

                While all of you who have been members of this list for longer than I have
                are used to dealing with one another, I am not, and therefore not sure what
                to expect. I do not believe that being cautious, especially when it comes
                to dealing with strangers over the internet, constitutes undue suspicion or
                even paranoia. I haven't accused anyone of any crime, nor do I suspect
                anyone on this list of less than ethical behavior. Indeed, I am sure you
                are all thoroughly wonderful people. Nevertheless, human nature being what
                it is, there are less than scrupulous people out there, some of whom I've
                had the privilege of dealing with, and part of being an "adult" consists of
                learning how to be prepared for the eventuality of dealing with one of these
                individuals. That said, I'm sorry if I offended any or some or all of you
                with my cautiousness, but, to paraphrase Shakespeare, me thinks thou dost
                protest too much.

                I am very disappointed I was not able to get in touch with Mr. Coppey
                earlier. Perhaps in the future I can be a bit quicker in the draw.

                Regards

                Gabriel