Re: [furt-l] Chopin Piano Concertos

  • Mark Berry
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 1999
      On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Ponzetto wrote:

      > While we are speaking about Rubinstein's Chopin, I would like to ask which
      > performances of his piano concertos you would recommend.
      > I like Rubinstein's 1st (with Skrowaczewski) but I am not convinced by his
      > 2nd (with Wallenstein) which I find somewhat too soft, almost spineless. I
      > am not enthused by Arrau's 1st, so I am not rushing to buy his 2nd, and I do
      > not like at all Zimmermann - Giulini, in spite of the high critical ratings
      > it got. Perhaps Rubinstein - Barbirolli would be a good idea ?
      >
      > Thank you very much,
      >
      > Giacomo

      For the second, I would certainly recommend Rubinstein-Barbirolli, but
      also Ashkenazy-Zinman. If I remember correctly, it comes with the Bach D
      minor, and Mozart No.7, all of which are mightily impressive.

      With best wishes,

      Mark Berry.

    • samir ghiocel golescu
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 1999
        On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Felix Delbruck wrote:

        > Hofmann on VAI's The Complete Josef Hofmann vol 1 is generally wonderful in
        > the 2nd, especially in the last two movements, with a few lapses in the
        > details which one can attribute to the amount of leeway he allowed himself
        > in live performance. In my view he does even better - indeed I have seldom
        > heard such directly eloquent and yet classically poised, such Mozartian
        > Chopin playing - in a small excerpt of the 1st from 1935 in execrable sound.
        > His complete recording of the 1st from 1938, on the other hand, shows him in
        > deep decline: the playing has lost its balance and frequently sounds
        > flippant and uninvolved, although there are some very eloquent moments in
        > the 2nd movt.

        I heartily second this, adding that for the Second Concerto I know of no
        better performance, beyond the lousy orchestra and the noisy live
        recording, Hofmann's playing is simply divine, unifying and surpassing the
        simplicity and fluency of a Haskil, and the expressivity of a Cortot
        whose 2nd Cto, (exciting in its own, zig-zagated way) presents the
        peculiarity of an added Coda in the first mvt. and of noticeable
        orchestration changes, not for the better IMHO).

        For the first Cto I'd suggest:
        Heinrich Neuhaus (yes, the old professor!)
        Emil Ghilels (I usually don't recommend his recordings, invariably
        excellent, but seldom extraordinary--his Chopin 1st *is* extraordinary,
        and you can hear the beneficial influence of Neuhaus's conception!)

        Hofmann (coupled with the 2nd, on VAI)
        Rosenthal (newly re-published on Biddulph)

        Both recordings have flaws but also extraordinary insights, especially in
        the slow mvts.

        regards,
        SG

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 1999
          In a message dated 11/6/99 5:52:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          mkb1002@... writes:

          <<
          > While we are speaking about Rubinstein's Chopin, I would like to ask which
          > performances of his piano concertos you would recommend.
          > I like Rubinstein's 1st (with Skrowaczewski) but I am not convinced by his
          > 2nd (with Wallenstein) >>
          I grew up with that 1st concerto and thought of it as the gold standard. Now
          I like a live 1964 Naples concert performance with Rubinstein on some
          offbeat pirate label.
        • Thomas Christopher Schnauber
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 1999
            All,

            Just throwing in my two cents: I absolutley adore Hofmann and would agree
            with those recommendations (although I must say, for myself, I find the
            Chopin piano concerti much less satisfying than his solo piano music).
            Cortot would be my other thought.

            Someone mentioned Gilels: I just heard a recording from that Philips
            Great Pianists series of him playing a Clementi sonata. Wonderful!
            Clementi was a really good composer, somewhat underated, I think, and
            Gilels' performance was electric. Check it out!

            Tom