[furt-l] Timing Conundrum

  • Philip B. Walsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1999
      I finally bought a CD copy of WF's 1951 Schubert
      Symphony No. 9. I brought it home and put it on,
      just to hear a few minutes of it -- ended up, of
      course, listening to the whole thing. Was there
      ever a better recorded performance of anything?

      However, I notice that the timings given in the
      notes are uniformly different from those on the
      DGG LP I've had for years. Is there a reason for
      this? The timings I have are as follows:

      LP: (Deutsche Grammophon Historisch 2525808)

      1. 15:05
      2. 16:40
      3. 10:16
      4. 10:50

      CD: (Deutsche Grammophon "The Originals" 447-439-2)

      1. 14:45
      2. 17:18
      3. 11:16
      4. 11:38

      Admittedly, I haven't played the (badly worn) LP in
      some time, but no differences other than improved sound
      jump out at me immediately.

      Any explanations out there? Thanks.

      Philip Walsh

    • wong
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 1999
        This is not an explanation, but I also ran into similar situation with my
        own taping.

        I have two casette tape decks, both made by JVC.

        I had recorded tapes with the older machine. When I re-record the same
        tapes on the newer machine (using the older one as play back), I find that
        the newer recordings are slightly faster, every time. (I play the new tape
        on the newer JVC tape deck, listen to it through the 2 loudspeakers
        connected to my amplifier, and at the same time listen to the older tape
        on the older JVC tape deck through earphone, having synchronized the 2
        tapes at the beginning.)

        I haven't discussed this with friends before. Maybe it's just my tape
        decks that are weird...

        Hin-Shing Wong
        ========