Re: [furt-l] R: Furtwangler La Scala's Ring

  • TOM SIMONE
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 1999
      This is an addendum. Or "is it only a matter of sound?" While a great Furtwangler
      performance can often survive mediocre tranfers, fine sound when available should
      not be shunned. Afterall, the quality of orchestras playing under WF almost always
      evoked a sense of awe by contemporaries.

      As I have written elsewhere, I believe that many of the magnificnet studio
      recordings have been downplayed because of a lack of access to excellent early
      copies.

      While there are many superb WF Beethoven 3s and 5s, the studio (i.e. recorded inthe
      Great Hall of the Musikverein) have an overhwelming depth, detail, and beauty of
      sound on early LP copies. However, as has often been mentioned on the list, EMI
      has seldom done justice ot the quality of the original tpaes on CD. The HMV (EMI
      later) 1952 VPO sounds leaden and grainy on the Great Recordings CD. Even the 60s
      LP on World Records of this performance lacks the air, beauty, and dynamism of
      early HMV of LHMV pressings.

      Some will think this mere retrograde thinking, but I have compared on very good
      equipment early, excellent LP copies to a number of CD transfers. Many of the off
      the air performances come through much better on CD because of access to official
      or early tapes that were not available to the LP "pirate" issues.

      But many of the HMV and DGG originals LPs have staggering sound. The 1954
      "Walkurie" is among those LP treasures.

      All the best,

      Tom Simone