Re: [furt-l] Monteux

  • James M. Perry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 1999
      >Tom,
      >
      >I have nothing by Pierre Monteux. What would you suggest as a starter kit
      >-- maybe your favorite five CDs?
      >
      >Charlie Laughlin

      I also am a great admirer of Monteux's work. His recording of
      Elgar's "Enigma Variations" with the London Symphony will spoil you for any
      other version. It's available on a London CD in spectacular sound.
      Another desert island disc is his coupling of Stravinsky's "Petrouchka" (He
      conducted the premiere) with the Boston Symphony, coupled with the
      definitive Franck Symphony with the Chicago Symphony on a recent RCA Living
      Stereo release. His London Symphony recording of Rimsky's "Scheherezade"
      on London is very good, but his recording of the work with the San
      Francisco Symphony on RCA is even betterm, though not as well recorded.
      Other favorites, all on London include, "Daphnis and Chloe" (another work
      he midwifed), a coupling of Beethoven and Dvoraks' Seventh Symphonies, some
      Haydn symphonies coupled with Brahms' "Haydn Variations."

      Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong. I've never heard a bad
      performance from Monteux!

      James M. Perry
      Oakland, CA
    • Charles D. Laughlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
        Many thanks to all of you -- Sanjeev, Joel, Tom and James -- for the
        handsome lists of Monteux possibilities. Guess I will have to postpone my
        retirement yet another year so I can buy a lot of new CDs.

        Charlie Laughlin