Re: [furt-l] pirate recordings

  • lee schipper
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 1998
      This is what I mean by my previous posting. Also, the artists are for the most
      part dead and gone. This still active or with active catalogues (Glenn Gould,
      for example), keep the pirates at bay. More and more Jazz musiciaions are even
      refusing broadcast rights from festals to avoid pirating, which might be bad.
      But compared to real pirates......asian copies of legit, commercial CDs or the
      "basement tapes" of bob dylan from the 1960s that were in a sense competing with
      current LPs, I think the pirate thing for classical music (and jzz for that
      matter) serves a small market where the owners of the music per se don't lose
      anything and the winners are those who buy the disks.