[furt-l] Hitherto unknown Furtwangler recording discovered

  • samir ghiocel golescu
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
      Great news for Furtwangler's fans!!!

      Yesterday morning, in the basement of the archives of the Univ of IL at
      Urbana--Champaign, the cleaning woman was about to step on a dusty and
      seemfully unsignificant package. God prevented her from that so she looked
      to the package and, seeing some funny old discs, similar to the Bing Crosby
      discs she had when she was a kid, she planned to take them home, her
      grandchildren waiting for some new toys to full around with.

      In that crucial moment, providence made that I appeared there and I
      noticed in a moment the Gothic writing on the label. There were the acetat
      discs of the only Missa Solemnis performance Furtwangler, unknown to Hunt,
      Tremine and other historians, gave in Hambourg, in 1942.

      I have the discs now and I plan to open a bid for the discographic labels
      in order to obtain the best price for the precious discs. The Japanese
      label Ku-ro-sa-wa already offered me 12000 $. I'm still in expectative.

      regards,
      SG

    • Joel Lazar
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
        Keep looking. Perhaps you'll come up with air checks of Toscanini's
        undocumented performances of the Furtwangler E-minor Symphony.

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
          On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Joel Lazar wrote:

          > Keep looking. Perhaps you'll come up with air checks of Toscanini's
          > undocumented performances of the Furtwangler E-minor Symphony.

          You mean Toscanini's recording in which he performs WF's symphony in
          24.30 minutes?!

        • Joel Lazar
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
            It was in the same archive as F-w's performance of "Hymn to the Nations"
            (duration approx 40')

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
              GLORIA IN EXCELSIS FURTWANGLER!
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                Does anyone have a copy of the April Fool's day message put out by Allegro a
                number of years ago in which they describe a newly-discovered recording of
                Furtwangler conducting the Mahler 9th? I remember it being pretty funny.

                Ray Osnato
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999

                  >> Keep looking. Perhaps you'll come up with air checks of Toscanini's
                  >> undocumented performances of the Furtwangler E-minor Symphony.
                  >
                  >You mean Toscanini's recording in which he performs WF's symphony in
                  >24.30 minutes?!

                  I don't have the Toscanini recording, but I do have bootleg of Klemperer
                  conductiong the Furtwangler second...it is a three-CD set.

                  Ray
                • Joel Lazar
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                    Is it possible that you are in error? I seem to recall that the 3-CD set was
                    by Celibidache.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                      I must correct myself. The little-known Celi version took 4 CDS.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                        And wasn't Bernstein's released including the dance steps...

                        I must correct myself. The little-known Celi version took 4 CDS.

                        Is it possible that you are in error? I seem to recall that the 3-CD set was
                        by Celibidache.

                        >> Keep looking. Perhaps you'll come up with air checks of Toscanini's
                        >> undocumented performances of the Furtwangler E-minor Symphony.
                        >
                        >You mean Toscanini's recording in which he performs WF's symphony in
                        >24.30 minutes?!

                        I don't have the Toscanini recording, but I do have bootleg of Klemperer
                        conductiong the Furtwangler second...it is a three-CD set.

                        Ray
                      • boyd cathey
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                          Ray,
                          As I recall, Furtwangler was in the audience for the Toscanini
                          performance of his third symphony, and at the end of the performance (that
                          lasted according to the notes of my very rare pirate recording which was
                          recorded in stereo back in 1951 25:00 minutes), Furtwangler arose from his
                          seat and exclaimed: "Now, if you could only play Beethoven that way!" The
                          Celi performance (with Sudwestnordest Rundfunk und Gesellschaft
                          Staatskapelleorchester) was programmed over a three day period--so the
                          audience could rest-- and filmed in color. I have seen a fine print
                          broadcast over Syrian State Television.

                          Boyd Cathey
                          >>> Keep looking. Perhaps you'll come up with air checks of Toscanini's
                          >>> undocumented performances of the Furtwangler E-minor Symphony.
                          >>
                          >>You mean Toscanini's recording in which he performs WF's symphony in
                          >>24.30 minutes?!
                          >
                          >I don't have the Toscanini recording, but I do have bootleg of Klemperer
                          >conductiong the Furtwangler second...it is a three-CD set.
                          >
                          >Ray
                        • samir ghiocel golescu
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                            On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Joel Lazar wrote:

                            > I must correct myself. The little-known Celi version took 4 CDS.
                            >

                            >> Is it possible that you are in error? I seem to recall that the 3-CD
                            >> set was by Celibidache.

                            That's sheer innuendo. Deutsche Gr. stretched Celibidache's
                            performance on 4 CDs, in order to make more money out of it. Actually, the
                            3rd CD (with the third mvt.) contains a mere 52 minutes of music!

                            SG

                          • samir ghiocel golescu
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                              > Great news for Furtwangler's fans!!!
                              >
                              > Yesterday morning, in the basement of the archives of the Univ of IL at
                              > Urbana--Champaign, the cleaning woman was about to step on a dusty and
                              > seemfully unsignificant package. God prevented her from that so she looked
                              > to the package and, seeing some funny old discs, similar to the Bing Crosby
                              > discs she had when she was a kid, she planned to take them home, her
                              > grandchildren waiting for some new toys to full around with.
                              >
                              > In that crucial moment, providence made that I appeared there and I
                              > noticed in a moment the Gothic writing on the label. There were the acetat
                              > discs of the only Missa Solemnis performance Furtwangler, unknown to Hunt,
                              > Tremine and other historians, gave in Hambourg, in 1942.
                              >
                              > I have the discs now and I plan to open a bid for the discographic labels
                              > in order to obtain the best price for the precious discs. The Japanese
                              > label Ku-ro-sa-wa already offered me 12000 $. I'm still in expectative.

                              Last news! A South--Korean billionaire, which claims to anonymity will be
                              respected (and, anyway, the Korean names are all alike so you loose
                              nothing!) won the contest, with a 20000$ offer.

                              I decided to generously establish a "Neil Tingley Fund", having as
                              priority the encouragement of the (still) young, (completely) unknown,
                              (undoubtedly) gifted and (painfully) smart musicians. The Board of
                              Trustees, convocated for an initial emergency meeting, decided by
                              unanimous vote that the first recipient of the award will be no one else
                              than your truly

                              SG
                              (who obviously hates narcissism!)

                            • Joel Lazar
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                                Always a pleasure to see so many first-class minds applied to a single
                                problem! We must do this more often!
                                Wherefore is this night different from all other nights?
                                I stand/sit/recline corrected.

                                Cheers-JL

                                > I must correct myself. The little-known Celi version took 4 CDS.
                                >

                                >> Is it possible that you are in error? I seem to recall that the 3-CD
                                >> set was by Celibidache.

                                That's sheer innuendo. Deutsche Gr. stretched Celibidache's
                                performance on 4 CDs, in order to make more money out of it. Actually, the
                                3rd CD (with the third mvt.) contains a mere 52 minutes of music!

                                SG

                              • Deryk Barker
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                                  Thus spake boyd cathey (parsifal@...):

                                  > Ray,
                                  > As I recall, Furtwangler was in the audience for the Toscanini
                                  > performance of his third symphony, and at the end of the performance (that
                                  > lasted according to the notes of my very rare pirate recording which was
                                  > recorded in stereo back in 1951 25:00 minutes), Furtwangler arose from his
                                  > seat and exclaimed: "Now, if you could only play Beethoven that way!" The
                                  > Celi performance (with Sudwestnordest Rundfunk und Gesellschaft
                                  > Staatskapelleorchester) was programmed over a three day period--so the
                                  > audience could rest-- and filmed in color. I have seen a fine print
                                  > broadcast over Syrian State Television.

                                  Confusion Boyd: Furtwaengler's E minor Symphony is No.2 - he could not
                                  possibly have witnessed Toscanini conducting the 3rd, because he
                                  didn't finish it.

                                  I'm wondering if anyone else has heard Roger Norrington's version? I
                                  gather that this is a tape of a performance he gave at a weekend
                                  "Furtwaengler Experience" in which, inter alia, he described the
                                  technical challenges involved in finding someone to make a metronome
                                  which could vary the tempo in every bar.

                                  And then there's Sorabji's Symphonia Sequentia Furwtaengleria, a vast
                                  score, as yet unperformed, consisting of four immense passacaglias,
                                  each based on the main theme of one movement of the Wf symphony.

                                  In this, of course, Sorabji was simply returning the compliment paid
                                  him by Wf, when he made his orchestral version of the Opus
                                  Clavicembalisticum (title change, of course, to Opus
                                  Orchestralis). Now that's something I'd really like to hear.
                                  --
                                  |Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
                                  |Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to. |

                                • Victor Eskenasy
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 1, 1999
                                    What a good idea, maybe one of these minds find a solution to Yugoslavia and
                                    refugees catastrophy. This recall me other times. No different night in Europe,
                                    except for the 3 GI...

                                    "Joel Lazar" <joellazar@...> on 04/02/99 04:17:48 AM

                                    Please respond to furt-l@...

                                    To: furt-l@...
                                    cc: (bcc: Victor Eskenasy/CZ/RFERL)

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 2, 1999
                                      Thank you, Victor, for reminding us of the realities outside our world of
                                      music and ideas.

                                      Joel Lazar

                                      > I must correct myself. The little-known Celi version took 4 CDS.
                                      >

                                      >> Is it possible that you are in error? I seem to recall that the 3-CD
                                      >> set was by Celibidache.

                                      That's sheer innuendo. Deutsche Gr. stretched Celibidache's
                                      performance on 4 CDs, in order to make more money out of it. Actually, the
                                      3rd CD (with the third mvt.) contains a mere 52 minutes of music!

                                      SG

                                    • Carlos Carter
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 2, 1999
                                        > Last news! A South--Korean billionaire, which claims to anonymity will be
                                        > respected (and, anyway, the Korean names are all alike so you loose
                                        > nothing!) won the contest, with a 20000$ offer.

                                        I hope you will find it in your heart to give some compensation to the
                                        unsuspecting cleaning woman. She did find them and I'm sure she'll
                                        appreciate a small fraction of your bounty.

                                        Carlos

                                      • samir ghiocel golescu
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 2, 1999
                                          On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Carlos Carter wrote:

                                          > > Last news! A South--Korean billionaire, which claims to anonymity will be
                                          > > respected (and, anyway, the Korean names are all alike so you loose
                                          > > nothing!) won the contest, with a 20000$ offer.
                                          >

                                          > I hope you will find it in your heart to give some compensation to the
                                          > unsuspecting cleaning woman. She did find them and I'm sure she'll
                                          > appreciate a small fraction of your bounty.

                                          Who do you think I am?! The Heart of Stone?! The first thing I did in the
                                          morning was to buy an icecream for the poor nice lady!

                                          regards,
                                          SG

                                        • Joel Lazar
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 2, 1999
                                            Double dip, I would hope!

                                            JL

                                            On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Carlos Carter wrote:

                                            > > Last news! A South--Korean billionaire, which claims to anonymity will
                                            be
                                            > > respected (and, anyway, the Korean names are all alike so you loose
                                            > > nothing!) won the contest, with a 20000$ offer.
                                            >

                                            > I hope you will find it in your heart to give some compensation to the
                                            > unsuspecting cleaning woman. She did find them and I'm sure she'll
                                            > appreciate a small fraction of your bounty.

                                            Who do you think I am?! The Heart of Stone?! The first thing I did in the
                                            morning was to buy an icecream for the poor nice lady!

                                            regards,
                                            SG

                                          • Donald Miller
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 3, 1999
                                              Keep us posted on when it will be available. A great find!

                                              Don Miller

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 3, 1999
                                                On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Donald Miller wrote:

                                                > Keep us posted on when it will be available. A great find!
                                                >
                                                > Don Miller

                                                Release date is almost exactly a year away: April 1, '00

                                                Jason

                                              • Johan Groenewald
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 12, 1999
                                                  Your message, not dated 4/1/99 read:

                                                  >>Great news for Furtwangler's fans!!!
                                                  >>
                                                  >>Yesterday morning, in the basement of the archives of the Univ of IL at
                                                  >>Urbana--Champaign, the cleaning woman was about to step on a dusty and
                                                  >>seemfully unsignificant package. God prevented her from that so she looked
                                                  >>to the package and, seeing some funny old discs, similar to the Bing Crosby
                                                  >>discs she had when she was a kid, she planned to take them home, her
                                                  >>grandchildren waiting for some new toys to full around with.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>In that crucial moment, providence made that I appeared there and I
                                                  >>noticed in a moment the Gothic writing on the label. There were the acetat
                                                  >>discs of the only Missa Solemnis performance Furtwangler, unknown to Hunt,
                                                  >>Tremine and other historians, gave in Hambourg, in 1942.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>I have the discs now and I plan to open a bid for the discographic labels
                                                  >>in order to obtain the best price for the precious discs. The Japanese
                                                  >>label Ku-ro-sa-wa already offered me 12000 $. I'm still in expectative.

                                                  Huh

                                                  What a coincidence that, I presume the only, acetates of a Furtwangler WW2
                                                  performance ends up in Illinois! That's a remarkable journey.

                                                  Johan Groenewald