Re: [furt-l] Prieberg and The Rise of Beethoven

  • Bradleigh Stockwell
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31 8:35 PM
      Greetings from California, Mr. Christiansen. You wrote:

      > Does any one know about Fred Prieberg's =
      > Book "Trial of Strength" from Quartet Books. I have ordered this title =
      > where I live in Copenhagen but got the message that it was "deleted but =
      > about to be reprinted".

      Does this mean you are trying to obtain a copy or information on just
      what the book is about? I will be glad to help you in either matter.

      As to your comments about how this Furtwangler List often turns to a
      list about everything INCLUDING Furtwangler, I agree. But it's usually
      a handful of the same people - over and over - who want to talk and talk
      to the world; they use this and other mailing lists to say pretty much
      the same thing over and over. I used to read and post to a Mahler-List
      and it was the same thing. As a matter of fact, some of the same people
      from the Mahler-List show up on the Furtwangler List and bring the same
      speeches with them and usually about Mahler, of course!

      I would write more, but my fiancee and I are busy with planning a trip
      to Europe; we will be married this October in Wien/Vienna!

      Bradleigh Stockwell
    • Scott A. Browdy
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 1998
        Congratulations.
        >Greetings from California, Mr. Christiansen. You wrote:
        >
        >> Does any one know about Fred Prieberg's =
        >> Book "Trial of Strength" from Quartet Books. I have ordered this title =
        >> where I live in Copenhagen but got the message that it was "deleted but =
        >> about to be reprinted".
        >
        >Does this mean you are trying to obtain a copy or information on just
        >what the book is about? I will be glad to help you in either matter.
        >
        >As to your comments about how this Furtwangler List often turns to a
        >list about everything INCLUDING Furtwangler, I agree. But it's usually
        >a handful of the same people - over and over - who want to talk and talk
        >to the world; they use this and other mailing lists to say pretty much
        >the same thing over and over. I used to read and post to a Mahler-List
        >and it was the same thing. As a matter of fact, some of the same people
        >from the Mahler-List show up on the Furtwangler List and bring the same
        >speeches with them and usually about Mahler, of course!
        >
        >I would write more, but my fiancee and I are busy with planning a trip
        >to Europe; we will be married this October in Wien/Vienna!
        >
        >Bradleigh Stockwell

      • EskenasyV
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 1998
          Welcome in Europe and congratulations!
          Greetings from California, Mr. Christiansen. You wrote:

          > Does any one know about Fred Prieberg's =
          > Book "Trial of Strength" from Quartet Books. I have ordered this title =
          > where I live in Copenhagen but got the message that it was "deleted but =
          > about to be reprinted".

          Does this mean you are trying to obtain a copy or information on just
          what the book is about? I will be glad to help you in either matter.

          As to your comments about how this Furtwangler List often turns to a
          list about everything INCLUDING Furtwangler, I agree. But it's usually
          a handful of the same people - over and over - who want to talk and talk
          to the world; they use this and other mailing lists to say pretty much
          the same thing over and over. I used to read and post to a Mahler-List
          and it was the same thing. As a matter of fact, some of the same people
          from the Mahler-List show up on the Furtwangler List and bring the same
          speeches with them and usually about Mahler, of course!

          I would write more, but my fiancee and I are busy with planning a trip
          to Europe; we will be married this October in Wien/Vienna!

          Bradleigh Stockwell
        • Frederick Wagner
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 1998
            Can anyone please advise me what a typical artist royalty payment would be
            on a CD? As a percentage of the retail price? As a flat amount on a
            discounted type of recording such as mono or historical? Thank you.
            Fritz Wagner
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 1998
              On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Frederick Wagner <fwagner@...> asked:

              >Can anyone please advise me what a typical artist royalty payment would be
              >on a CD? As a percentage of the retail price? As a flat amount on a
              >discounted type of recording such as mono or historical? Thank you.

              It depends on the contract negotiated for the particular recording. For
              example, Naxos often negotiates a one-time-only flat fee for recording
              (allowing them to maintain low prices), for which the performers forfeit any
              royalties forever.

              When I was processing Bruno Walter's papers, I believe he received about a 3
              or 4 percent royalty for his new recordings, and 1.5 percent for budget
              reissues.

              Bob Kosovsky
              Student, PhD Program in Music Librarian
              Graduate Center Music Division
              City University of New York The New York Public Library
              rkosovsk@... bkosovsky@...
              Listowner: OPERA-L@... ; smt-list@...
              Administrivia to: rjkgc@...
              ------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------

            • Deryk Barker
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 1998
                Thus spake Tony Duggan (scribble@...):

                > rkosovsk@... wrote:
                >
                > > >Can anyone please advise me what a typical artist royalty payment would be
                > > >on a CD? As a percentage of the retail price? As a flat amount on a
                > > >discounted type of recording such as mono or historical? Thank you.
                > >
                > > It depends on the contract negotiated for the particular recording. For
                > > example, Naxos often negotiates a one-time-only flat fee for recording
                > > (allowing them to maintain low prices), for which the performers forfeit any
                > > royalties forever.
                >
                > I believe that for his Elgar 1st recording on Naxos George Hurst
                > accepted no payment at all just expenses and a night in the best
                > hotel in Manchester.

                Pity the BBC hasn't released his 1979 Free Trade Hall
                performance. Blows the Naxos out of the water I'm afraid.

                --
                |Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
                |Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to. |

              • asim choudhri
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 1998
                  >On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Frederick Wagner <fwagner@...> asked:
                  >
                  >>Can anyone please advise me what a typical artist royalty payment would be
                  >>on a CD? As a percentage of the retail price? As a flat amount on a
                  >>discounted type of recording such as mono or historical? Thank you.
                  >
                  >It depends on the contract negotiated for the particular recording. For
                  >example, Naxos often negotiates a one-time-only flat fee for recording
                  >(allowing them to maintain low prices), for which the performers forfeit any
                  >royalties forever.

                  but it allows performers who would be unable to otherwise get a recording
                  contract to let their music be heard.

                  asim

                  --
                  asim choudhri
                  chouasi@...

                • Tony Duggan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2, 1998
                    rkosovsk@... wrote:

                    > >Can anyone please advise me what a typical artist royalty payment would be
                    > >on a CD? As a percentage of the retail price? As a flat amount on a
                    > >discounted type of recording such as mono or historical? Thank you.
                    >
                    > It depends on the contract negotiated for the particular recording. For
                    > example, Naxos often negotiates a one-time-only flat fee for recording
                    > (allowing them to maintain low prices), for which the performers forfeit any
                    > royalties forever.

                    I believe that for his Elgar 1st recording on Naxos George Hurst
                    accepted no payment at all just expenses and a night in the best
                    hotel in Manchester.

                    --
                    Tony Duggan

                    Staffordshire,
                    United Kingdom.

                  • Tony Duggan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 1998
                      Deryk Barker wrote:

                      > Thus spake Tony Duggan (scribble@...):

                      > > I believe that for his Elgar 1st recording on Naxos George Hurst
                      > > accepted no payment at all just expenses and a night in the best
                      > > hotel in Manchester.
                      >
                      > Pity the BBC hasn't released his 1979 Free Trade Hall
                      > performance. Blows the Naxos out of the water I'm afraid.

                      I've just heard the Barbirolli Elgar 1st from Kings Lynn in 1970 -
                      his last ever concert. That deserves an outing also.

                      --
                      Tony Duggan

                      Staffordshire,
                      United Kingdom.

                    • Neil
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 7, 1998
                        On Wed, 02 Sep 1998 18:11:58 -0700, you wrote:

                        >> It depends on the contract negotiated for the particular recording. For
                        >> example, Naxos often negotiates a one-time-only flat fee for recording
                        >> (allowing them to maintain low prices), for which the performers forfeit any
                        >> royalties forever.
                        >
                        >I believe that for his Elgar 1st recording on Naxos George Hurst
                        >accepted no payment at all just expenses and a night in the best
                        >hotel in Manchester.

                        Gosh ! That's quite telling in a way. There must be a lot of conductors who are
                        just delighted at getting a chance to set down their interpretations on disc. in
                        the case of Dr Hurst, hasn't his recording been widely acclaimed ?

                        Naxos has clearly done many lesser known conductors a great deal of good. Georg
                        Tintner for one is getting a measure of success long deserved at last.

                        Neil
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 7, 1998
                          Try Berkshire Record Outlet that had copies for about $14 just a few months
                          ago. They are online, too.

                          Eric
                        • Tony Duggan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 7, 1998
                            Neil wrote:

                            > On Wed, 02 Sep 1998 18:11:58 -0700, you wrote:

                            > >I believe that for his Elgar 1st recording on Naxos George Hurst
                            > >accepted no payment at all just expenses and a night in the best
                            > >hotel in Manchester.
                            >
                            > Gosh ! That's quite telling in a way. There must be a lot of conductors who are
                            > just delighted at getting a chance to set down their interpretations on disc. in
                            > the case of Dr Hurst, hasn't his recording been widely acclaimed ?

                            Yes. Jerrold Northrop Moore, no less, named it as his top choice recently
                            on the BBC's "Record Review".

                            --
                            Tony Duggan

                            Staffordshire,