IPS 2006 Standards Meeting(s)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2006
      Greetings, IPS attendees! (And various and sundry subscribers to
      DOME-L and the Fulldome Mailing List.)

      My apologies for the lengthy email, but I would like to address some
      of the activities of the IPS Fulldome Video Committee associated with
      the upcoming conference in Melbourne:
      A. Hard-Core Standards Meeting after IPS
      B. Informal, "Birds of a Feather" Meetings during IPS
      C. "Fulldome 101" Session during IPS

      These three varied activities are intended for the expert, the
      interested, and the novice, respectively. Please read whatever
      sections of this email feel most appropriate...

      A. Hard-Core Standards Meeting after IPS

      First off, I'd like to announce a standards meeting to be held
      immediately after the IPS conference in Melbourne. The folks at
      Swinburne University's Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
      have graciously offered a meeting space from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. on
      Friday, 28 July. The tour of their facility ends at 1:00 p.m., so
      this affords a bit of time to eat, and it also gives everybody enough
      time to attend the (possible) Australian-rules football game that
      evening.

      On the agenda for our meeting will be continued discussion of the
      proposed Fulldome Master Show File, with a particular focus on
      possible metadata format(s). Please take a look at the most recent,
      revised proposal online:
      http://research.amnh.org/~wyatt/Community/
      fulldome_domemasterSpec_v05.pdf

      Also, it'd be nice to discuss what should be on our plate for the
      future. On an ambitious note, I would like to see us begin to
      outline a process for characterizing systems -- from the image
      generator to the dome surface -- in order to facilitate the transfer
      of content, particularly as new and astonishingly varied display
      systems come online.

      Finally, a few administrative points. If you plan to attend this
      session, please let me know (consider this a request for an RSVP,
      although you won't be denied admittance if you don't reply). If you
      have transportation issues or questions, let me know; we're working
      out the details now.

      B. Informal, "Birds of a Feather" Meetings during IPS

      The 2004 Fulldome Standards Summit, held in conjunction with the IPS
      conference in Valencia, benefitted from funding via an NSF subaward
      to Spitz and a specific imperative from the NSF-supported "Black
      Holes" show produced at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
      Although we hope to receive funding to support additional standards
      research and workshops in 2007-08, we don't have that same level of
      support this time around, so we expect to have a more informal
      collection of meetings.

      Furthermore, although we got the ball rolling with a "standards"
      summit, the purview of the committee is hardly limited to tech-y
      discussions. In order to help wrangle the complexities of the
      emerging technology and its impact on the planetarium community, we
      hope to support increased communication and dialogue across a range
      of topics related to fulldome video.

      For all these reasons, I'd like to propose a few "birds of a feather"
      groups that could, perhaps, meet during the course of the week in
      Melbourne. I'm offering to coordinate interested parties, so if one
      of the following ideas strikes your fancy (or if another topic seems
      reasonable to include), please let me know. I'll collects names and
      emails of people and put you in touch with one another, so "birds of
      a feather" can meet during the conference (maybe over coffee, maybe
      over beer) and benefit from shared wisdom.

      The intention is not to conflict with any of the scheduled events at
      the IPS meeting. Rather, we simply hope to facilitate the informal,
      after-hours discussions that take place at such gatherings.

      1. Production
      For those who are interested in sharing ideas on how to staff,
      budget, and plan fulldome productions of various scales.

      2. Real-time Systems
      For those who are interested in facilitating transfer of models,
      flight paths, and shows between real-time systems as well as the
      possibilities of dome-to-dome networked presentations.

      3. Emerging Technologies
      For those who are interested in new display systems, image
      acquisition devices, or whatever else is on the horizon for the
      fulldome community.

      4. Professional Development
      For those who are interested in how fulldome changes what's expected
      of planetarians and how our community can support professional
      development that maximizes the benefits from new technologies.

      5. Making the Leap
      For those who are interested in opening a theater or renovating an
      existing one.

      Again, this list is not intended to be exhaustive, so I'm happy to
      iterate with people to see what sub-groups might be interested in.
      Please respond off-list, unless you want to suggest another topic area.

      C. "Fulldome 101" Session during IPS

      In addition to the above, there's the "Fulldome 101" session that
      will be held on Monday, 24 July, from 11:00 a.m. through 3:00 p.m.
      (with a lunch break). You can find the description on the IPS 2006
      conference site:
      http://www.ips2006.com/session/371.htm
      http://www.ips2006.com/session/372.htm

      Again, I'd like to solicit feedback from the community as to what
      topics would be of particular interest for such a session. What
      burning question(s) would you like answered? What issues surrounding
      immersive video do you find most confusing or daunting? Please feel
      free to respond on- or off-list.

      Thanks for your time! And thanks for reading this far.

      Ryan, a.k.a.
      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space
      American Museum of Natural History