Re: Hipparcos 3D Starfield

  • Christophe Bertier
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
      Dear All,

      RSA Cosmos has developed a plug in for 3dsmax called NovaMax.

      NovaMax is a starfield and solar system plug-in for 3dsmax.

      It provides all necessary functions in order to deal with the 3D starfield
      and the 3D solar system.

      The starfield catalog is Hipparcos (full database from the observatory of
      Strasbourg) and solar system motions are based on VSOP87 Theory
      (+/- 100 000 years).

      In short, if you are looking for a planetarium software plug-in for 3dsmax.
      NovaMax is your Holy Grail !

      For more details, visit http://www.rsacosmos.com .

      For quotation, please contact Marlene at sales@....

      Regards.

      Christophe Bertier
      Sales Manager

      mobile: +33 (0) 623-762-416
      tel : +33 (0) 477-533-048
      fax : +33 (0) 477-533-861

      Discover the Selenites
      http://www.lacoursealaterre.com/

      RSA Cosmos
      ZI de la Vaure, B.P.40
      42290 Sorbiers France
      http://www.rsacosmos.com/

      ===

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi Tim

        I did this with the Bright Star Catalogue a couple of years ago. It's really
        not that difficult to script. In fact the tricky part for me was sorting out
        the database itself, not scripting the stars, and I was a scripting beginner
        at the time. All the formulae you need, including for those for proper
        motion are here ....

        http://astronexus.com/node/35?PHPSESSID=fc30326cdfb06532876c74fec0dea3d0

        If you want to script a fulll-blown 3D mini planetarium in max, then you run
        up against some problems with brightness and scale (or at least I did), but
        if you have a single situation to script for - a single point of view and
        set dates for proper motion for example - then it's a lot easier to pull
        off. For the BSC script I used meshes, but I did a similar 2dFGRS script
        later on that used PFlow and it worked very well.

        Good luck!
        Mark