Hipparcos 3D Starfield

  • TimFlorian.Horn@kb.hamburg.de
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
      Hello,

      Does anyone have a Hipparcos 3D starfield (including proper motion) for 3DS Max? We´ve been asked to produce a short sequence for a TV station about the starfield 70,000 years ago. So I were wondering if anyone has ever created such a model.

      Thanks,
      Tim

      --
      Tim Florian Horn
      Head of Show Production
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
        I'd be interested in that as well if it does indeed exist.

        TimFlorian.Horn@... wrote:

        Hello,

        Does anyone have a Hipparcos 3D starfield (including proper motion) for 3DS Max? We've been asked to produce a short sequence for a TV station about the starfield 70,000 years ago. So I were wondering if anyone has ever created such a model.

        Thanks,
        Tim

        --
        Tim Florian Horn
        Head of Show Production
        Planetarium Hamburg
        Hindenburgstr.1b
        D-22303 Hamburg
        Tel. +49(0)40-428 86 52-80
        Fax. +49(0)40-428 86 52-99
        Cell +49(0)173-61 61 120
        Website: www.planetarium-hamburg.de
        Planetarium Hamburg - der Himmel auf Erden

        Michael J. Narlock
        187 Exmoor Road
        Waterford, MI 48328
      • Christophe Bertier
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
          Dear All,

          RSA Cosmos has developed a plug in for 3dsmax called NovaMax.

          NovaMax is a starfield and solar system plug-in for 3dsmax.

          It provides all necessary functions in order to deal with the 3D starfield
          and the 3D solar system.

          The starfield catalog is Hipparcos (full database from the observatory of
          Strasbourg) and solar system motions are based on VSOP87 Theory
          (+/- 100 000 years).

          In short, if you are looking for a planetarium software plug-in for 3dsmax.
          NovaMax is your Holy Grail !

          For more details, visit http://www.rsacosmos.com .

          For quotation, please contact Marlene at sales@....

          Regards.

          Christophe Bertier
          Sales Manager

          mobile: +33 (0) 623-762-416
          tel : +33 (0) 477-533-048
          fax : +33 (0) 477-533-861

          Discover the Selenites
          http://www.lacoursealaterre.com/

          RSA Cosmos
          ZI de la Vaure, B.P.40
          42290 Sorbiers France
          http://www.rsacosmos.com/

          ===

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
            Hi Tim

            I did this with the Bright Star Catalogue a couple of years ago. It's really
            not that difficult to script. In fact the tricky part for me was sorting out
            the database itself, not scripting the stars, and I was a scripting beginner
            at the time. All the formulae you need, including for those for proper
            motion are here ....

            http://astronexus.com/node/35?PHPSESSID=fc30326cdfb06532876c74fec0dea3d0

            If you want to script a fulll-blown 3D mini planetarium in max, then you run
            up against some problems with brightness and scale (or at least I did), but
            if you have a single situation to script for - a single point of view and
            set dates for proper motion for example - then it's a lot easier to pull
            off. For the BSC script I used meshes, but I did a similar 2dFGRS script
            later on that used PFlow and it worked very well.

            Good luck!
            Mark