RE: Staffing requirements

  • Schmidt Mickey Civ 50 TS/CC
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22 4:41 PM
      I too am interested in this line.

      Mickey Schmidt

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Cheryl Bagni [mailto:CHERYL.BAUER@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 10:29 AM
      To: fulldome@yahoogroups.com

      I am trying to determine the staffing impact for an all-dome system. If
      you have a system, could you please email me the type of system and number
      of staff (and their responsibilities) you have hired or will need to hire
      as a direct result of your full dome system. Thanks.
    • Carolyn Sumners
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25 3:43 PM
        Hello All

        This is in response to the staffing question related to full-dome. Before I
        describe our situation, I'd like to express my enthusiasm for Wonders of The
        Universe. Terence Murtagh has a knack for the right mix of narration and
        special effects. The public has responded very well to the experience and we
        highly recommend this E production.

        Now about the staff:

        We have run a full-dome system successfully for 2 years. The
        Astronomy/Technology Department is larger than the Planetarium, but here's
        the staff whose salaries are allocated to the planetarium.

        Planetarium Manager (Carl Huffman) - 100% time
        Responsibilities: staffing, working one day of weekend, Digistar
        programming, Spice programming, about 2-3 shows per day. (Carl also helps in
        the Challenger Center if it's a crisis)

        Planetarium Animation Producer (Tony Butterfield) - 100% time
        Responsibilities: management of the full dome system including aligning
        projectors as well as maintenance of computers, transfer of files, handling
        of render farm and program storage. Tony also produces 10-30 minutes of
        animation for shows each year.

        Planetarium Chief Operator (Jason Zermeno) - 100% time
        Responsibilities: all slides, special effects, sound system, etc. Jason
        also works one day of the weekend and handles 3-4 shows per day.

        Planetarium weekend (and weekday in summers) operators - 12 hours per week
        On days when we run full schedules (12, 1, 1:30, 2, 2:30, 3, 4, 4:30 and
        5 shows) we bring in one part-time operator to do 6-7 of the shows.

        Planetarium teacher (James Wooten) - 50% time
        Responsibilities: school shows on weekday morning, coordinating with
        schools, monthly starchart handouts, teaching 2 shows each day.

        Director of Astronomy (me) - 30% time
        Responsibilities: writing shows, coordinating with shows we bring in or
        have produced off site, program planning, teaching one school show each day.

        Our planetarium show schedule is significant:
        weekdays: 9:30, 10:30, 11:20, 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00
        weekends and summer: (optional 10:00 and 11:00), 12:00, 1:00, 1:30,
        2:00, 2:30, 3:00, 4:00, 4:30, 5:00

        Weekend titles
        The 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 4:00, and 5:00 shows are the full-dome feature.
        The 1:30, 2:30, and 4:30 shows are a prescripted live/taped product
        The 3:"00 show is an old-fashioned star show.

        Weekday titles
        9:30 and 10:30 are school shows (live and interactive)
        12:00 is a live school show targeted for young audiences
        11:20 and 1:00 are full-dome features
        2:00 is the prescripted live/taped product
        3:00 is the old-fashioned star show.

        In the full-dome category, we have offered
        Destination: Moon and Powers of Time (over 50% full dome) - we produced
        Alien Oceans (100% full dome) - we produced
        Wonders of the Universe (100% full dome) - from E
        Force Five (starting in June - 100% full dome) - is being produced in
        Houston

        In the prescripted category we have offered
        Where is Carmen I
        Sailing by the Stars - we produced
        Stars of China (beginning in March) - we are producing
        Carmen II (beginning in June)

        It has taken us two years to get to this point and this schedule does work.
        It has allowed us to remove the laser show from our venue - except for a
        Holiday Lights show which included full dome segments as well.

        The mix of shows has been necessary because there remains a market for the
        old-fashioned star show and for specialty shows that complement exhibits. It
        would be much too expensive to create these specialty shows in full-dome.

        Our goal this year is to do as well without lasers as we have done in the
        past with them. We are slightly revenue positive. We do not have an
        advertising budget, which has made it much more difficult to change public
        awareness of our new system.

        In summary, we added Tony Butterfield when we brought in full-dome, but we
        have lost our laser person when laser went away. So the net is about the
        same.

        I hope this helps. Please give us a visit if you want to see a staff in
        action.

        Carolyn Sumners
      • dondavis@thegrid.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2001
          Is the all dome community in hibernation or are we all simply busy?

          A few stills from some all dome animations of mine can be seen in an
          article at:

          http://www.donaldedavis.com/2001%20addons/domeshow.html

          All were rendered on Macs, using 'Electric image' animation software.

          Don Davis
        • Schmidt Mickey Civ 50 TS/CC
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2001
            Don,

            In regards to perhaps being able to pay for program developement. As you
            may know I am looking at a program dealing with solar space weather and its
            influence on earth, magnetosphere and space hardware. Do you have any art
            related to these topics available? As our plans, the USAF Physics Department
            and the Military Aerospace Class instructors decide exactly on the content
            we'd like we can talk about specific art and graphics.

            Mickey
          • dondavis@thegrid.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 18, 2001
              I truly appreciate inquiries about commissioning work, however such
              messages should be directed to my private E-mail address and not placed
              on the listserve. My sincere thanks, and I look forward to seeing more
              happen in this wonderful medium.

              Don Davis

              'May the projectors be banished from the best seats in the house'

              [Your preference is noted. I actually considered forwarding the note
              to you alone, but just hit "approve" instead. I'm sending this to the
              listserve as well, just so folks know. I'll try to catch such stuff
              in the future, though. --RJW]