Re: Staffing requirements

  • Patricia Reiff
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2001
      >I am trying to determine the staffing impact for an all-dome system. If
      >you have a system, could you please email me the type of system and number
      >of staff (and their responsibilities) you have hired or will need to hire
      >as a direct result of your full dome system. Thanks.

      Carolyn Sumners is the perfect person to answer this, but she's in D.C.
      this week. I'm sure she'll give you the detailed answer you
      deserve when she gets back. The short answer, though, is - depends
      on how much content you want to create in house. Also depends on
      whether you want live hosts for your shows...

      ^
      / \ Prof. Patricia H. Reiff
      / \ Director, Rice Space Institute
      / _^ ^_ \ Rice University MS108, Houston, TX 77251-1892
      / / O O \ \ email: reiff@...
      / \ V / \ www: http://space.rice.edu/
      / / ""R"" \ \
      | \ ""U"" / | "Why does man want to go to the Moon?
      | _/|\ /|\_ | .. Why does Rice play Texas?"..JFK, Rice Stadium, 1962
      / \
    • Schmidt Mickey Civ 50 TS/CC
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 2001
        I too am interested in this line.

        Mickey Schmidt

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 25, 2001
          Hello All

          This is in response to the staffing question related to full-dome. Before I
          describe our situation, I'd like to express my enthusiasm for Wonders of The
          Universe. Terence Murtagh has a knack for the right mix of narration and
          special effects. The public has responded very well to the experience and we
          highly recommend this E production.

          Now about the staff:

          We have run a full-dome system successfully for 2 years. The
          Astronomy/Technology Department is larger than the Planetarium, but here's
          the staff whose salaries are allocated to the planetarium.

          Planetarium Manager (Carl Huffman) - 100% time
          Responsibilities: staffing, working one day of weekend, Digistar
          programming, Spice programming, about 2-3 shows per day. (Carl also helps in
          the Challenger Center if it's a crisis)

          Planetarium Animation Producer (Tony Butterfield) - 100% time
          Responsibilities: management of the full dome system including aligning
          projectors as well as maintenance of computers, transfer of files, handling
          of render farm and program storage. Tony also produces 10-30 minutes of
          animation for shows each year.

          Planetarium Chief Operator (Jason Zermeno) - 100% time
          Responsibilities: all slides, special effects, sound system, etc. Jason
          also works one day of the weekend and handles 3-4 shows per day.

          Planetarium weekend (and weekday in summers) operators - 12 hours per week
          On days when we run full schedules (12, 1, 1:30, 2, 2:30, 3, 4, 4:30 and
          5 shows) we bring in one part-time operator to do 6-7 of the shows.

          Planetarium teacher (James Wooten) - 50% time
          Responsibilities: school shows on weekday morning, coordinating with
          schools, monthly starchart handouts, teaching 2 shows each day.

          Director of Astronomy (me) - 30% time
          Responsibilities: writing shows, coordinating with shows we bring in or
          have produced off site, program planning, teaching one school show each day.

          Our planetarium show schedule is significant:
          weekdays: 9:30, 10:30, 11:20, 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00
          weekends and summer: (optional 10:00 and 11:00), 12:00, 1:00, 1:30,
          2:00, 2:30, 3:00, 4:00, 4:30, 5:00

          Weekend titles
          The 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 4:00, and 5:00 shows are the full-dome feature.
          The 1:30, 2:30, and 4:30 shows are a prescripted live/taped product
          The 3:"00 show is an old-fashioned star show.

          Weekday titles
          9:30 and 10:30 are school shows (live and interactive)
          12:00 is a live school show targeted for young audiences
          11:20 and 1:00 are full-dome features
          2:00 is the prescripted live/taped product
          3:00 is the old-fashioned star show.

          In the full-dome category, we have offered
          Destination: Moon and Powers of Time (over 50% full dome) - we produced
          Alien Oceans (100% full dome) - we produced
          Wonders of the Universe (100% full dome) - from E
          Force Five (starting in June - 100% full dome) - is being produced in
          Houston

          In the prescripted category we have offered
          Where is Carmen I
          Sailing by the Stars - we produced
          Stars of China (beginning in March) - we are producing
          Carmen II (beginning in June)

          It has taken us two years to get to this point and this schedule does work.
          It has allowed us to remove the laser show from our venue - except for a
          Holiday Lights show which included full dome segments as well.

          The mix of shows has been necessary because there remains a market for the
          old-fashioned star show and for specialty shows that complement exhibits. It
          would be much too expensive to create these specialty shows in full-dome.

          Our goal this year is to do as well without lasers as we have done in the
          past with them. We are slightly revenue positive. We do not have an
          advertising budget, which has made it much more difficult to change public
          awareness of our new system.

          In summary, we added Tony Butterfield when we brought in full-dome, but we
          have lost our laser person when laser went away. So the net is about the
          same.

          I hope this helps. Please give us a visit if you want to see a staff in
          action.

          Carolyn Sumners
        • dondavis@thegrid.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2001
            Is the all dome community in hibernation or are we all simply busy?

            A few stills from some all dome animations of mine can be seen in an
            article at:

            http://www.donaldedavis.com/2001%20addons/domeshow.html

            All were rendered on Macs, using 'Electric image' animation software.

            Don Davis
          • Schmidt Mickey Civ 50 TS/CC
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2001
              Don,

              In regards to perhaps being able to pay for program developement. As you
              may know I am looking at a program dealing with solar space weather and its
              influence on earth, magnetosphere and space hardware. Do you have any art
              related to these topics available? As our plans, the USAF Physics Department
              and the Military Aerospace Class instructors decide exactly on the content
              we'd like we can talk about specific art and graphics.

              Mickey
            • dondavis@thegrid.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 18, 2001
                I truly appreciate inquiries about commissioning work, however such
                messages should be directed to my private E-mail address and not placed
                on the listserve. My sincere thanks, and I look forward to seeing more
                happen in this wonderful medium.

                Don Davis

                'May the projectors be banished from the best seats in the house'

                [Your preference is noted. I actually considered forwarding the note
                to you alone, but just hit "approve" instead. I'm sending this to the
                listserve as well, just so folks know. I'll try to catch such stuff
                in the future, though. --RJW]