Re: Fulldome.org

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
      Maybe we could just send observations about fulldome.org
      functionality to David McConville (id@...)...? I'm not
      sure this is of much interest to everybody on the group.

      Then David can update us when the problems are resolved.

      Ryan.

      P.S. Thanks, BTW, to the eLumenati folks for providing us with the
      fulldome.org resource...
    • Mark Aldred
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
        Just for a bit of chitchat really. I've been involved in dome
        animation for years, but except for the guidance of my customers
        have had next to no contact with people in the industry. I'm in
        Japan, by the way. I was also hoping to pilfer some know-how on
        actual dome systems and developments in the technology, since I'm
        pretty weak in that area.

        Anyhow, hello everybody.
        mark
      • Paul Boyle
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 10, 2006
          Hello,

          Someone has donated an inflatable planetarium to my school. I want
          to use it for more than astronomy. I spend my summers exploring in
          the mountains out west and digging for fossils. I would like to use
          our planetarium to show the canyons of the west and teach some
          geology and paleontology.

          I was hoping to glean enough information to start putting together
          something for my classes. Can I use a Nikon FC-E9 Fisheye with an
          adapter on my Fuji s7000 and shoot canyons for a dome or do I need to
          reach deeper into my pocket for a DSLR?

          Thanks
          Paul Boyle

          "You're never too old to do goofy stuff."
          ~Ward Cleaver
        • Mark C. Petersen
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 12, 2006
            Paul,

            While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
            will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In portable
            domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or at best the
            1280x720 DLP. Put a full fisheye circle image in those confines,
            and you don't have a lot of pixels to splay across the full
            hemisphere. Which fulldome system is it?

            Look at some of the Chaco Canyon images we have in our Image Library:
            <http://www.lochness.com/imagelib/cat_o.html>. They were shot with
            my FC-E9. The Web enlargements are sized down to 400x400, but
            imagine an image basically 2x that size. That's all the resolution
            you'll be able to project. The geology students might be able to
            make out strata in the cliffs, but it'd be pushing it.

            It doesn't hurt to have the highest practical resolution in your
            source material, but at this point your input device will probably
            have more capability than your output device. You'll be scaling down
            the source material to display on the projector, discarding a lot of
            image data to do so.

            >> Mark

            Mark C. Petersen info@...
            Loch Ness Productions http://www.lochnessproductions.com
            __________________________ GEODESIUM ____________________
          • pauldavidbourke
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 13, 2006
              > While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
              > will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In portable
              > domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or at best the
              > 1280x720 DLP.

              While I agree with the comment in general, the details are not
              quite right.
              SXGA+ (1400x1050) projectors are now only around US$3K.
            • Patricia Reiff
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 13, 2006
                Paul is completely right... Fisheyes with 1400x1050 resolution (full
                circle 1050 or truncated 1400x1050) are already available from
                Elumenati (pricey but beautiful - we've sold one in Korea). Paul's
                mirror system easily adapts to any resolution projector (one of the
                joys of a mirror system).

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 13, 2006
                  At 08:01 AM 4/13/2006, you wrote:
                  > > While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
                  > > will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In
                  > > portable domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or
                  > > at best the 1280x720 DLP.

                  > While I agree with the comment in general, the details are not
                  > quite right. SXGA+ (1400x1050) projectors are now only around
                  > US$3K.

                  Actually, I think my details are pretty close too. You'll note
                  that, in my observation, I said nothing about price.

                  To my knowledge, there are more than 50 fulldome portable
                  planetarium projectors out there in the field -- Digitarium
                  Alphas, Digital Starlabs, definiti PDs, and elumenati
                  projectors -- all with less than SXGA+ size displays. So the
                  chances are good I guessed right that it's one of those Paul
                  was referring to. (Paul?)

                  The price of SXGA+ projectors notwithstanding, I don't think
                  commercial products incorporating those models have been sold as
                  portable planetaria in numbers greater than the little guys to date.

                  And when it comes down to it, if you're putting a full circle in the
                  1050 dimension, that gets you 26 pixels greater resolution than the
                  MEDIAGLOBE, SciDome, and Digistar 3SP, so if you were to include
                  those latter in the stat count, the number of "lower-res" projectors
                  would be even more overwhelming. But those models aren't marketed
                  as portables....

                  Point is, there are a goodly amount of the 1024 and smaller displays
                  already out there, and they continue to sell.

                  Mark C. Petersen mark@...
                  Loch Ness Productions http://www.lochnessproductions.com
                  __________________________ GEODESIUM ____________________
                • pboyle7416
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 23, 2006
                    Mark C. Petersen wrote:

                    > While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
                    > will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In portable
                    > domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or at best the
                    > 1280x720 DLP. Put a full fisheye circle image in those confines,
                    > and you don't have a lot of pixels to splay across the full
                    > hemisphere. Which fulldome system is it?

                    > Look at some of the Chaco Canyon images we have in our Image
                    > Library:
                    > <http://www.lochness.com/imagelib/cat_o.html>.
                    > They were shot with my FC-E9. The Web enlargements are sized
                    > down to 400x400, but imagine an image basically 2x that size.
                    > That's all the resolution you'll be able to project. The geology
                    > students might be able to make out strata in the cliffs, but it'd
                    > be pushing it.

                    > It doesn't hurt to have the highest practical resolution in your
                    > source material, but at this point your input device will probably
                    > have more capability than your output device. You'll be scaling
                    > down the source material to display on the projector, discarding
                    > a lot of image data to do so.

                    We got an E PLANETARIUM donated and its resolution is 1024 X 768 and
                    it has 2500 lumens with a field of view that is 180 X 135.

                    I teach and have 3 kids in college. Luckily I have a small grant to
                    cover the mileage and a small camper to live in out West. Grants
                    have allowed me to dig dinosaurs and fossils most summers in the
                    west and I have seen lots to beautiful canyons that I want to share
                    with my students.

                    I haven't been able to find a grant to fund the camera and lens. So
                    I may have to EBay it.

                    I'm looking into buying a used Kodak DCS PRO 14n with 13.5 million
                    pixels captured and the CMOS chip is the size of 35 mm film. The
                    CMOS chip 4500 X 3000.I will probably use a Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/4.0
                    EX Circular Fisheye Autofocus Lens. If the gas continues to go up I
                    may end up with a FISHEYE ZENITAR 2.8/16 LENS or FISHEYE MC Peleng
                    3.5/8A LENS.

                    Will this high megapixel camera help?

                    I'm looking at hiking and Kayaking up the slot canyons on Lake
                    Powell and shoot and hitting the canyons on the BigHorn and the High
                    Unitas to show some V and U shaped valleys and canyons.
                    Some my students will be shooting caves of Indiana in the fall. My
                    chipheads (my computer helpers) have been playing with After Effects
                    and some other software and they are ready to start on our
                    planetearthium productions.

                    Thanks
                    Paul Boyle
                  • david mcconville
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 23, 2006
                      At 11:14 PM 4/23/2006, Paul Boyle wrote:
                      >I'm looking into buying a used Kodak DCS PRO 14n with 13.5 million
                      >pixels captured and the CMOS chip is the size of 35 mm film. The
                      >CMOS chip 4500 X 3000.I will probably use a Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/4.0
                      >EX Circular Fisheye Autofocus Lens. If the gas continues to go up I
                      >may end up with a FISHEYE ZENITAR 2.8/16 LENS or FISHEYE MC Peleng
                      >3.5/8A LENS.

                      Paul,

                      I've been using a 14n with a Nikkor 8mm fisheye for a couple of years
                      now with great success. It's definitely overkill for the XGA
                      resolution systems (since the resultant circular fisheye is
                      2900x2900). The Sigma and Peleng's aren't as nice (the Nikkor is
                      spendy for a reason!), but they may well serve you. You'll be
                      down-res'ing the images quite a bit anyway for the XGA projection, so
                      it will give you some breathing room for processing and such.

                      >Will this high megapixel camera help?

                      You could go with a cheaper system if you only ever plan on using the
                      XGA projection (ie not trying to show your images inside of a
                      multi-projector fulldome environment). But since you'll be traveling
                      extensively to capture your images, it never hurts to get the shots
                      right the first time with the right gear...

                      There's a thread about live capture tools at
                      http://www.fulldome.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=14&catid=10

                      Feel free to post your opinions or experiences here once you settle
                      on a system...

                      cheers,
                      david