Re: To the Newbies

  • Khem Caigan
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hi ~

      I worked as a video editor at Larry Rivers Studio, and
      worked with Harry Smith on his last film, 'Mahagonny'.
      We had always wanted to do another piece that didn't
      privilege any one observer within a panoramic field, but
      Harry's passing put the kibosh on that project.

      I have been training myself in CG and digital video for the
      past ten years or so, and I'm currently working on a
      fulldome feature.

      All the Best,

      ~ Khem Caigan

      ZAPGARDEN
      380 Cottekill Road
      Stone Ridge, NY 12484-5104
      Phone: (845) 687-2121
      Khem@...
    • Erik Roberts
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2006
        > In the interest of stimulating discussion (and finding out what's
        > bringing people to the list), I just thought I'd ask all the people
        > who've joined recently a little about why they signed up. What
        > brought you to the list? What do you hope to learn from the fulldome
        > video list?

        Thank you Ryan and fulldomers for inviting the newbies to come out of
        the woodwork. I have been eavesdropping on forum discussions and
        endeavouring to inform myself of the explosion of digital fuldome
        production taking place worldwide for some time. I am a postgraduate
        student at Griffith University in Brisbane Australia. Two years ago our
        relatively small planetarium was about to be defunded by the city
        council due to chronic low attendances. Now, re-equipped with Sky-Scan
        digital projection, audience numbers have doubled. I am hoping to
        attend 1PS 2006 in Melbourne in order to be better appraised of current
        developments and trends.

        "The circular Frame and the Moving Image" is the title of my visual
        arts research project. My approach is low tech / high art...
        non-astronomical and concentrates on the aesthetics of abstract motion
        within the dome. I have made an extensive study of avant-garde cinema
        (1920s onwards) and have noticed recurrent tendencies towards circular
        framing in the films of Marcel Duchamp, Oskar Fischinger, James Whitney
        and Jordan Belson, etc.

        Abstract circular motion occurs in nature in seven different varieties
        (there may be more but I have yet to discover them): concentric,
        revolving, radial, spiralic, rhyzomic (branching) chaotic and stellar.
        By exploring these inherent dynamics of the circular frame the
        distinctive aesthetic properties of the new medium may become better
        defined.

        Thank you for sharing all your expertise with the rest of the world -
        this is the most exciting development in screen history!

        Erik Roberts
        cameraderie
      • Marcos Perez
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
          Hello

          We have a zkp2 Zeiss projector under a 10m dome to show a wonderful
          sky, and a bunch of kodak ektapros (panoramas, allskyes and the rest)
          that are difficult to feed with slides for every new show... and
          limited in result, as well. We are interested in developing a
          fulldome video alternative to work along the Zeiss. At this point, it
          seems important to find a path that keeps hardware at the same level
          of complexity as contents, so that we do not have to turn into full
          time engineers or animators. Astronomy education is our business.

          And this list is great.
          Thank you

          Marcos Perez
          Planetarium Manager
          Casa de las Ciencias
          www.casaciencias.org

          >> In the interest of stimulating discussion (and finding out what's
          >> bringing people to the list), I just thought I'd ask all the people
          >> who've joined recently a little about why they signed up. What
          >> brought you to the list? What do you hope to learn from the fulldome
          >> video list?
        • Paul Mowbray
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
            Not sure if I missed something but what happened to fulldome.org? I just
            get a 403 forbidden access message?

            It's good to hear what everyone is up to in the Fulldome world, some
            interesting and exciting things happening out there.

            We (The National Space Centre) are launching our latest and greatest
            show this summer entitled Astronaut. Currently working on the
            promotional materials so will post again when we have some online
            content to tell you all about it.

            Paul Mowbray

            Digital Animation/Design Artist
            National Space Centre, Exploration Drive, Leicester, LE4 5NS, UK.
            Tel: +44 (0) 116 2582117
            Fax: +44 (0) 116 2582100
            www.spacecentre.co.uk
          • id@elumenati.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
              Paul,

              Just checked http://www.fulldome.org and everything seems fine...

              cheers,
              david

              > Not sure if I missed something but what happened to fulldome.org? I just
              > get a 403 forbidden access message?
            • Benjamin Stanley
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
                On 4 Apr 2006, at 16:22, id@... wrote:

                > Just checked http://www.fulldome.org and everything seems fine...

                >> Not sure if I missed something but what happened to fulldome.org?
                >> I just get a 403 forbidden access message?

                I get...
                Forbidden

                Tried on Mac Safari, Mac Firefox, Windows XP IE and WIndows XP
                Firefox, all do the same thing.

                Cheers
                B.

                --
                Benjamin Stanley - Technical Director - Trilby Multimedia
                Trilby http://trilby.info Weather http://weather.trilby.co.uk
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
                  it works from amnh
                  tried it on macosx with safari, firefox and explorer
                  and on windows xp from firefox and explorer
                  loretta

                  > I get...
                  > Forbidden
                  > You don't have permission to access / on this server.

                  > Tried on Mac Safari, Mac Firefox, Windows XP IE and WIndows XP
                  > Firefox, all do the same thing.

                  >> Just checked http://www.fulldome.org and everything seems fine...

                  >>> Not sure if I missed something but what happened to fulldome.org?
                  >>> I just get a 403 forbidden access message?
                • Karrie Berglund
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
                    I'm not having any problems at all. I'm running
                    Mozilla Firefox on Linux.

                    Cheers,
                    Karrie

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 4, 2006
                      Maybe we could just send observations about fulldome.org
                      functionality to David McConville (id@...)...? I'm not
                      sure this is of much interest to everybody on the group.

                      Then David can update us when the problems are resolved.

                      Ryan.

                      P.S. Thanks, BTW, to the eLumenati folks for providing us with the
                      fulldome.org resource...
                    • Mark Aldred
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 5, 2006
                        Just for a bit of chitchat really. I've been involved in dome
                        animation for years, but except for the guidance of my customers
                        have had next to no contact with people in the industry. I'm in
                        Japan, by the way. I was also hoping to pilfer some know-how on
                        actual dome systems and developments in the technology, since I'm
                        pretty weak in that area.

                        Anyhow, hello everybody.
                        mark
                      • Paul Boyle
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 10, 2006
                          Hello,

                          Someone has donated an inflatable planetarium to my school. I want
                          to use it for more than astronomy. I spend my summers exploring in
                          the mountains out west and digging for fossils. I would like to use
                          our planetarium to show the canyons of the west and teach some
                          geology and paleontology.

                          I was hoping to glean enough information to start putting together
                          something for my classes. Can I use a Nikon FC-E9 Fisheye with an
                          adapter on my Fuji s7000 and shoot canyons for a dome or do I need to
                          reach deeper into my pocket for a DSLR?

                          Thanks
                          Paul Boyle

                          "You're never too old to do goofy stuff."
                          ~Ward Cleaver
                        • Mark C. Petersen
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 12, 2006
                            Paul,

                            While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
                            will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In portable
                            domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or at best the
                            1280x720 DLP. Put a full fisheye circle image in those confines,
                            and you don't have a lot of pixels to splay across the full
                            hemisphere. Which fulldome system is it?

                            Look at some of the Chaco Canyon images we have in our Image Library:
                            <http://www.lochness.com/imagelib/cat_o.html>. They were shot with
                            my FC-E9. The Web enlargements are sized down to 400x400, but
                            imagine an image basically 2x that size. That's all the resolution
                            you'll be able to project. The geology students might be able to
                            make out strata in the cliffs, but it'd be pushing it.

                            It doesn't hurt to have the highest practical resolution in your
                            source material, but at this point your input device will probably
                            have more capability than your output device. You'll be scaling down
                            the source material to display on the projector, discarding a lot of
                            image data to do so.

                            >> Mark

                            Mark C. Petersen info@...
                            Loch Ness Productions http://www.lochnessproductions.com
                            __________________________ GEODESIUM ____________________
                          • pauldavidbourke
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 13, 2006
                              > While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
                              > will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In portable
                              > domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or at best the
                              > 1280x720 DLP.

                              While I agree with the comment in general, the details are not
                              quite right.
                              SXGA+ (1400x1050) projectors are now only around US$3K.
                            • Patricia Reiff
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 13, 2006
                                Paul is completely right... Fisheyes with 1400x1050 resolution (full
                                circle 1050 or truncated 1400x1050) are already available from
                                Elumenati (pricey but beautiful - we've sold one in Korea). Paul's
                                mirror system easily adapts to any resolution projector (one of the
                                joys of a mirror system).

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 13, 2006
                                  At 08:01 AM 4/13/2006, you wrote:
                                  > > While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
                                  > > will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In
                                  > > portable domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or
                                  > > at best the 1280x720 DLP.

                                  > While I agree with the comment in general, the details are not
                                  > quite right. SXGA+ (1400x1050) projectors are now only around
                                  > US$3K.

                                  Actually, I think my details are pretty close too. You'll note
                                  that, in my observation, I said nothing about price.

                                  To my knowledge, there are more than 50 fulldome portable
                                  planetarium projectors out there in the field -- Digitarium
                                  Alphas, Digital Starlabs, definiti PDs, and elumenati
                                  projectors -- all with less than SXGA+ size displays. So the
                                  chances are good I guessed right that it's one of those Paul
                                  was referring to. (Paul?)

                                  The price of SXGA+ projectors notwithstanding, I don't think
                                  commercial products incorporating those models have been sold as
                                  portable planetaria in numbers greater than the little guys to date.

                                  And when it comes down to it, if you're putting a full circle in the
                                  1050 dimension, that gets you 26 pixels greater resolution than the
                                  MEDIAGLOBE, SciDome, and Digistar 3SP, so if you were to include
                                  those latter in the stat count, the number of "lower-res" projectors
                                  would be even more overwhelming. But those models aren't marketed
                                  as portables....

                                  Point is, there are a goodly amount of the 1024 and smaller displays
                                  already out there, and they continue to sell.

                                  Mark C. Petersen mark@...
                                  Loch Ness Productions http://www.lochnessproductions.com
                                  __________________________ GEODESIUM ____________________
                                • pboyle7416
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 23, 2006
                                    Mark C. Petersen wrote:

                                    > While the camera and lens are a consideration, of more concern
                                    > will be the limits of the projector in the inflatable. In portable
                                    > domes, most projectors are of the 1024x768 LCD or at best the
                                    > 1280x720 DLP. Put a full fisheye circle image in those confines,
                                    > and you don't have a lot of pixels to splay across the full
                                    > hemisphere. Which fulldome system is it?

                                    > Look at some of the Chaco Canyon images we have in our Image
                                    > Library:
                                    > <http://www.lochness.com/imagelib/cat_o.html>.
                                    > They were shot with my FC-E9. The Web enlargements are sized
                                    > down to 400x400, but imagine an image basically 2x that size.
                                    > That's all the resolution you'll be able to project. The geology
                                    > students might be able to make out strata in the cliffs, but it'd
                                    > be pushing it.

                                    > It doesn't hurt to have the highest practical resolution in your
                                    > source material, but at this point your input device will probably
                                    > have more capability than your output device. You'll be scaling
                                    > down the source material to display on the projector, discarding
                                    > a lot of image data to do so.

                                    We got an E PLANETARIUM donated and its resolution is 1024 X 768 and
                                    it has 2500 lumens with a field of view that is 180 X 135.

                                    I teach and have 3 kids in college. Luckily I have a small grant to
                                    cover the mileage and a small camper to live in out West. Grants
                                    have allowed me to dig dinosaurs and fossils most summers in the
                                    west and I have seen lots to beautiful canyons that I want to share
                                    with my students.

                                    I haven't been able to find a grant to fund the camera and lens. So
                                    I may have to EBay it.

                                    I'm looking into buying a used Kodak DCS PRO 14n with 13.5 million
                                    pixels captured and the CMOS chip is the size of 35 mm film. The
                                    CMOS chip 4500 X 3000.I will probably use a Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/4.0
                                    EX Circular Fisheye Autofocus Lens. If the gas continues to go up I
                                    may end up with a FISHEYE ZENITAR 2.8/16 LENS or FISHEYE MC Peleng
                                    3.5/8A LENS.

                                    Will this high megapixel camera help?

                                    I'm looking at hiking and Kayaking up the slot canyons on Lake
                                    Powell and shoot and hitting the canyons on the BigHorn and the High
                                    Unitas to show some V and U shaped valleys and canyons.
                                    Some my students will be shooting caves of Indiana in the fall. My
                                    chipheads (my computer helpers) have been playing with After Effects
                                    and some other software and they are ready to start on our
                                    planetearthium productions.

                                    Thanks
                                    Paul Boyle
                                  • david mcconville
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 23, 2006
                                      At 11:14 PM 4/23/2006, Paul Boyle wrote:
                                      >I'm looking into buying a used Kodak DCS PRO 14n with 13.5 million
                                      >pixels captured and the CMOS chip is the size of 35 mm film. The
                                      >CMOS chip 4500 X 3000.I will probably use a Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/4.0
                                      >EX Circular Fisheye Autofocus Lens. If the gas continues to go up I
                                      >may end up with a FISHEYE ZENITAR 2.8/16 LENS or FISHEYE MC Peleng
                                      >3.5/8A LENS.

                                      Paul,

                                      I've been using a 14n with a Nikkor 8mm fisheye for a couple of years
                                      now with great success. It's definitely overkill for the XGA
                                      resolution systems (since the resultant circular fisheye is
                                      2900x2900). The Sigma and Peleng's aren't as nice (the Nikkor is
                                      spendy for a reason!), but they may well serve you. You'll be
                                      down-res'ing the images quite a bit anyway for the XGA projection, so
                                      it will give you some breathing room for processing and such.

                                      >Will this high megapixel camera help?

                                      You could go with a cheaper system if you only ever plan on using the
                                      XGA projection (ie not trying to show your images inside of a
                                      multi-projector fulldome environment). But since you'll be traveling
                                      extensively to capture your images, it never hurts to get the shots
                                      right the first time with the right gear...

                                      There's a thread about live capture tools at
                                      http://www.fulldome.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=14&catid=10

                                      Feel free to post your opinions or experiences here once you settle
                                      on a system...

                                      cheers,
                                      david