RE: Position listings

  • Alex Barnett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
      Scott

      Just an observation, not intended as a personal critisism cause I know that
      most times these things are a result of institutional job regulations!

      The job descriptions including the Director post mention that "Candidates
      must have operational understanding of Spitz 1024 Projection, ATM4,
      Immersavision and AVI laser"

      As all of the posts already have some pretty exacting requirements, don't
      you think its a little offputting for folks to not only have to be a first
      class educator/fundraiser/director etc, but also to have these very specific
      skills also?

      If you are desperately in need of staff, as evidenced by the rapid
      timescale, then you should persuade your instituation to consider making the
      job descriptions less precise, or you will find that people who might be
      able to match some of the things are put off from applying because who wants
      to spend hours crafting a CV etc together, when you already know that you
      don't fit all of the criteria.

      I actually cannot think of more than one or two people who might match these
      posts in some way. Now if you broadened it to generic terms like star
      projector, edge blended video, automation system etc, it might widen the
      pool.

      When we advertised for our facility, we made the JD's quite broad and
      attracted interest from a wide range of people with varying skills. We
      stated what was desirable, but we didn't want to put someone off who felt
      that they could do the job and bring other assets to the table. It worked
      well for us, bringing new talent and fresh ideas into the planetarium field.
      Mind you, we we recruiting with nearly 18 months to go before opening!

      Perhaps fulldome-l-ers have views on whether it would be useful for new and
      upgraded facilities to have access to information about what types of skills
      other domes are finding useful in various posts, what sorts of
      organisational structures other institutions are using, what rates they are
      having to pay etc. Given that many of us do need to attract talent from
      fields that are not traditionally the realm of the planetarian, is there
      information which we could compile that would be useful?

      Alex Barnett
      National Space Centre, Leicester UK

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
        In a discussion with a Slovak friend once, I asked how Europeans
        managed having so many political parties. He replied (wise for his
        19 years, perhaps because he wanted to go into politics) by describing
        the differences between America's two-party system and his own
        country's multi-party system. In America, Republicans and Democrats
        *as individuals* have a reasonable degree of freedom within their separate
        parties' camps. In Slovakia, at least, the diversity of party platforms
        required correspondingly strict adherence to the individual planks of
        the platform. The price of freedom of choice, it seems, is a lack
        of politicians' individual freedom.

        That's kinda what I think is going on with the job descriptions... (No,
        I'm not sending my Naderites Anonymous email to the wrong mailing
        list.) Many of us create highly specialized job descriptions (our party
        platforms) in order to have specific items (planks) that we can use
        to leverage hiring somebody. We ignore the missing or rotted planks
        in order to get the especially-desired ones.

        Hmmm. I liked that metaphor more when I started writing it, but I don't
        really feel like extracting it at this point. :|

        >Perhaps fulldome-l-ers have views on whether it would be useful for new and
        >upgraded facilities to have access to information about what types of skills
        >other domes are finding useful in various posts, what sorts of
        >organisational structures other institutions are using, what rates they are
        >having to pay etc. Given that many of us do need to attract talent from
        >fields that are not traditionally the realm of the planetarian, is there
        >information which we could compile that would be useful?

        I'm going to agree with you and then punt. Staffing decisions here at the
        LodeStar Astronomy Center are handled more by the Executive Director
        David Beining, so I hope he'll chime in with a few observations, but I can
        outline some of my thoughts on the topic (a few of which probably correspond
        to David's way of thinking).

        We plan to integrate much of our production with existing resources in the
        university system, at least as an experiment. With the University of New
        Mexico's Center for High-Performance Computing and active animation
        programs, a lot of talent currently hard at work in our fair city has
        expressed an interest in working with us -- which means an additional
        burden on staff here to mediate inclusion of this material and to manage
        its creation, but we hope with exciting and valuable results. Plus, it
        helps fulfill our obligations as part of the university, insofar as we should
        provide learning experiences to the university's student body.

        We will then complement the outside talent with an in-house animator,
        but since we recently lost our producer/animator, this position is currently
        in flux (i.e.,. not filled).

        LodeStar *is* in a transition phase right now, so we'll probably be better
        able to comment once things settle down.

        But I hope *others* (nudge nudge, wink wink) will choose to comment.

        Ryan.