Re: making stars

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
      In reference to Axel Mellinger's all-sky, Ka-Chun wrote:

      > Just be warned that because Axel mosaicked together many multiple
      > shots of the sky, there are blend issues.

      Actually, in our experience dealing with his version of about six
      months ago, we found very accurate alignment between Mellinger's
      image and our digital database. We could drop the Digital Universe
      starfield on top of his image with near-perfect registration.

      > To nix the problem of doubles when overlaying artificial stars on
      > the photographic panorama, we've removed all the stars from the
      > Mellinger images using a cosmic ray detection and deletion tool.

      What tool did you use...? I only know of stuff that works on FITS
      images. And some of the stars are rather large (i.e., non-cosmic-ray-
      like), aren't they?

      Ryan, a.k.a.
      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space
      American Museum of Natural History
      79th Street at Central Park West
      New York, NY 10024
      212.313.7903 vox
      212.313.7868 fax
    • Ka Chun Yu
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
        Ryan Wyatt wrote:
        > In reference to Axel Mellinger's all-sky, Ka-Chun wrote:
        >> Just be warned that because Axel mosaicked together many multiple
        >> shots of the sky, there are blend issues.

        > Actually, in our experience dealing with his version of about six
        > months ago, we found very accurate alignment between Mellinger's image
        > and our digital database. We could drop the Digital Universe starfield
        > on top of his image with near-perfect registration.

        That sounds great. I guess he did get around to fixing those problems
        (our version of his panorama is at least 4 years old).

        >> To nix the problem of doubles when overlaying artificial stars on the
        >> photographic panorama, we've removed all the stars from the Mellinger
        >> images using a cosmic ray detection and deletion tool.

        > What tool did you use...? I only know of stuff that works on FITS
        > images. And some of the stars are rather large (i.e., non-cosmic-ray-
        > like), aren't they?

        Yes I did end up using tools for FITS images, specifically IRAF's
        cosmicrays package. It has options for changing the expected size of
        the cosmic ray, so with multiple passes, one can clean all the stars
        from the faintest to the largest (tens of pixels across) in diameter.
        One does have to decompose the 3-color image into individual color
        channels, save them out as FITS files, and then run them one at a time
        through the cosmic ray removal package.

        > Ryan, a.k.a.
        > Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer

        --kachun +** Dr. Ka Chun Yu **+
        +** Curator of Space Science **+
        +** Denver Museum of Nature & Science **+
        +** 2001 Colorado, Denver, CO 80205-5798 **+
        +** kcyu@... 303-370-6394 **+
      • Raymond Worthy
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 21 1:18 PM
          To all Fulldomers
          or Dome-l members who sell projectors,

          The pace of development in this field is such that it is difficult to
          keep abreast of all that is happening, so I am taking this method of
          contacting you in one fell swoop.

          In the City of Newcastle in the north east of England, there is a well
          established museum called the Hancock Museum. The Hancock is being
          gutted and reshaped and will arise in a new existence and is to be
          called " The Great North Museum ".

          A London firm , Casson Mann (http://www.cassonmann.co.uk) has been
          engaged to see the project through The plans will include a seven metre
          planetarium and I have been asked to see if I can fit one of my fabric
          domes in.

          The scheme is to be finished some time in 2008, so there is a little
          time to think about things. If you have a digital projector which you
          think will be suitable for a seven metre dome, or if you are developing
          one which is scheduled to come on line next year, would you be so kind
          as to send the appropriate details to the following person, as well as
          to include me in the loop so I know what is going on.

          Adriana Ferlauto, adriana@...

          Yours faithfully,

          Ray Worthy.