Re: Advice needed - small dome set up

  • Raymond Worthy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2006
      Dear Adrian,

      Let me deal with each of your points as and when
      they occur.

      >Hi all,
      >I'm an independant artist based in Sydney, Australia and I'm looking
      >to develop content for dome based shows.
      >
      >The set up would only be used for development, not for presenting to
      >an audience, although it does need to be portable. I've identified
      >the following equipment so far:
      >
      >Dome - Shelter Systems Starbubble (9 ft diameter)

      Although I write this about Myself, Many people regard my
      domes as being the best in the world at the moment.

      This sounds boastful but it is not. Please take it as meant.
      My business is SOLELY the making of fabric domes, both positive
      pressure, stand alone domes and negative pressure domes. which fit into
      prepared spaces. To add to my previous claim, domes , made by me in the
      last year have gone to Konika-Minolta, Skyskan and Zeiss among others.
      My domes are not the cheapest, but they ARE the best available at this
      moment.

      Having said all this , I come to the dome you mention,
      "Shelter Systems Starbubble". I have to say that I have never heard of
      it and would like to know more.

      I looked it up on a search engine and found that the
      Starbubble is not a planetarium at all but a shelter as the name
      suggests.

      I have sent another message with two photos for comparison. We are
      talking here about chalk and cheese.

      >Software - Adobe After Effects with FullDome plugin
      >I'm still after a reasonably cheap projector with a fisheye lens and
      >also a CG Animation program for creating abstract images. I won't be
      >projecting anything too photorealistic though.

      It is the fisheye lens which makes the cost high. if it is to
      be any good, the engineering should be of the highest quality and this ,
      one has to pay for. The cheapest I could find last year was costing
      5,000 UK pounds.

      Get in touch with Paul Burke of Melbourne. See what he
      has to offer. he has a system in which he uses a ball mirror instead of
      a fisheye lens.
      Paul Bourke.
      pdb@...
      www.astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke
      phone +61 3 9214 8624

      Best wishes in your endeavours.

      Yours faithfully,

      Ray Worthy.
    • Tom Casey
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 15, 2006
        Check this dome and projection configuration out...

        http://www.e-planetarium.com/

        ...it's a setup we are working with currently...

        Tom

        H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

        Tom Casey
        President & Creative Director

        100 First Avenue - Suite 450
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        412-391-8200
        mailto:tom@...
        http://www.hrpictures.com
      • AJ
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 15, 2006
          Thanks all for your responses.

          Andy, the fulldome plugin for Adobe was actually suggested to me by
          SkySkan in Melbourne. I haven't really looked at anything else, I just
          figured I needed something to process the images for the fisheye lens
          and it didn't seem too expensive.

          Ray, I actually found some production company on the net that were
          using that starbubble shelter thing with a fisheye lens as
          their "monitor" when producing shows. It's not ideal as it's not
          really a dome but it's super cheap and they seem to be getting by with
          it.
        • Andy Dolph
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 15, 2006
            AJ wrote:

            > Thanks all for your responses.

            > Andy, the fulldome plugin for Adobe was actually suggested to me by
            > SkySkan in Melbourne. I haven't really looked at anything else, I just
            > figured I needed something to process the images for the fisheye lens
            > and it didn't seem too expensive.

            maybe I'm not asking the right question then - is the fulldome plug-in
            you're looking at
            http://fulldomeplugin.multimeios.pt/plugin.htm
            the one from the Navegar Foundation? or is it something that SkySkan sells?
            I was under the impression (maybe wrong) that SkySkan sells their own
            Fulldome plugin for After Effects.

            Andy
          • Rob Spearman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 15, 2006
              Here are some other ideas to consider.

              As far as I know we have the most affordable fulldome (non-truncated)
              fisheye projector, $17,750 US. It's designed for portable and fixed
              planetarium use, but accepts VGA input:

              http://digitaliseducation.com/products.html

              There are some truncated fisheye projection options available for less out
              there, but these don't cover the whole dome. Depending on your content,
              that may be OK.

              LochNess Productions uses a StarBubble setup, with some background
              and photos posted:

              http://www.lochness.com/fulldome/larrydome.html

              If you want a non-white or smoother surface or something quicker to
              setup/take down, we can build a 9' (2.75m) inflatable dome for $3970 US.
              We use one at trade shows so we can show our projector in just one booth.
              This version can accept optional tent poles to stay up without the fan
              turned on. It's only about 6.5' tall, so easy to fit anywhere.

              Rob Spearman

              President

              ======================================================= Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc. tel 360.616.8915
              P.O. Box 2976 fax 360.616.8917
              Bremerton, WA 98310 http://digitaliseducation.com
            • Luis Calçada
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
                Hi all,
                I'm part of the development team of Fulldome Plugin
                (fulldomeplugin.multimeios.pt).
                The only other similar plugin we've had a chance to see working was
                E&S's. It only has one output projection and two input projection
                (normal and panorama). Our's has 8 output projections (including one
                which lets you project with a fish eye projector in the center of the
                dome, or off-set from the center; includes also a projection mode
                which lets you project the content using a regular projector -with
                regular nonfisheye lens- this is particularly usefull in our opinion
                for the digital portable planetariums, or for content previewing using
                a small dome) and 13 input projections including cylindrical for
                importing panoramas, or Aitoff for all-sky astronomical images.
                The plugin also has astronomical capabilities. This lets you connect a
                layer from your composition in After Effects to the celestial sphere
                and correctly simulate the sky rotation (you can see for example in
                the plugin website a tutorial on how to simulate a sun set using the
                plugin). To our knowledge this is not available in the other plugins.

                Due to its versatility the plugin can be used to stitch (or tile)
                images and video. Hemicubic format images or video (6 90x90 degrees
                for those using this technique to produce 3D content) are a good
                example but any number of images can be stitched. Some examples are
                available on the website.

                We hope that this clears some doubts. If you have further questions
                please don't hesitate to contact us.
                Best Regards,
                Luis Calçada
                Navegar Foundation