Fulldome Discussion at Western Alliance in Denver

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2005
      As previously announced on this list, the IPS Fulldome Video
      Committee is holding three public meetings this year in an effort to
      increase discussion about the needs of the fulldome planetarium
      community. Ryan Wyatt (wyatt@...) will lead the second of these
      discussions at the Western Alliance conference on Saturday, 10
      September, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., with brunch included!

      Our primary goal is to create an industry standard for dome masters.
      We see dome masters as the "low lying fruit" of standards formation
      and a great way to get the ball rolling. Anyone actively producing
      fulldome content is welcome to participate. In preparation for these
      meetings, Ed Lantz (ed@...) has developed a draft
      specification for dome master formatting that serves as a starting
      point in our work; Ryan will have copies of the specification
      available during the conference, or you can find it online at:
      http://research.amnh.org/~wyatt/Community/
      fulldome_domemasterSpec_v02.pdf

      The meeting will also serve as a recruitment tool for IPS members who
      wish to serve on the Fulldome Standards Subcommittee. You do not need
      to be an IPS member to contribute to the meetings, but IPS membership
      is mandatory for committee membership. Once drafted, the proposed
      standard for dome masters will be posted for public comment and
      additional revisions prior to ratification by IPS.

      The first meeting was held on Sunday, 17 July, in conjunction with
      DomeFest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, at the LodeStar Astronomy
      Center. David Beining hosted a discussion that primarily drew
      producers of fulldome content, and much talk centered on production
      guidelines and budgets.

      The third meeting will be held in conjunction with the Immersive
      Cinema Workshop in Espinho, Portugal, on Tuesday, 13 September. We
      welcome participation from fulldome planetarians worldwide in the
      standards formation process.

      We hope you can join us bright and early on Saturday morning! Even
      if you cannot, however, please feel free to take a look at the
      aforementioned draft specification and get back to us with feedback.

      A version of this email is online, complete with links, etc., at:
      http://research.amnh.org/~wyatt/Community/standards.html

      (A URL which I plan to keep updated with upcoming fulldome standards
      topics, in case anyone is interested.)

      Let me know if you run into any difficulties with the standards page,
      BTW, because I've noted a few myself -- e.g., the draft specification
      PDF doesn't load consistently and sometimes requires that you re-load
      the page. Also, let me know if you run into any problems with the
      layout of the PDF, since I created it in a cheesy and

      Ryan, a.k.a.
      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space
      American Museum of Natural History