Re: Dome-friendly Vector Graphics Package?

  • Brad Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17 6:33 AM
      Hi Mario,

      Sorry, I don't know of any vector package that supports dome warping, but
      my question is do you really need one? What do you gain by doing your
      warping in vector mode? I suspect that doing such warping on vectors
      would require a fair amount of subdivision on your splines in order to
      achieve smooth warping, which means that you'll loose easy editability of
      those curves once you've done the warping. You'll need to convert your
      image into raster mode at some point before it will go onto the dome
      (except for maybe the old digistar systems, but I don't think that's what
      you are asking about), and there are several programs that will warp
      raster images. If you don't mind having to rasterize the images prior to
      warping, you could import your vector file into AfterEffects, Combustion,
      or even Photoshop via the Adobe Illustrator format, and use any of the
      available After Effects/photoshop dome warping plug-ins that are floating
      around. It doesn't sound like you are planning on doing animation, so
      this may not concern you, but Combustion imports vector images through a
      paint operator, which will re-rasterize on every frame. That means that
      it's possible to animate the vectors without loosing resolution.

      --
      Brad Thompson - bthompson@...
      Digital Animation & Design - Spitz, Inc.

      -- "Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep"

      On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:35:31 +0100, Mario Di Maggio <mario@...>
      wrote:

      > Before I embark on a web quest for a simple, commercially-available
      > vector graphics package that is also dome-friendly, I thought I'd ask
      > members on the list for possible recommendations.

      > What I need is a simple drawing tool (like Inkscape, Illustrator,
      > Freehand or CorelDraw) that can also warp graphics for the dome
      > environment; IOW something I can use to create simple panoramas as well
      > as simple allskies.
    • david mcconville
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17 8:15 AM
        Mario,

        You might consider experimenting with Swift 3D (http://www.erain.com),
        which creates vectors from 3D animations for Flash. It has a built-in
        raytracing engine, and might be possible to create fisheye views from
        within the applications. We've experimented with this a bit (dreaming of
        creating dome-corrected Flash animations). This isn't a vector graphics
        illustration package, per se, but it might be possible to warp exported 3D
        geometry to vector graphics for the dome...

        cheers,
        david

        At 12:35 PM 6/16/2005, Mario Di Maggio wrote:

        >Before I embark on a web quest for a simple, commercially-available vector
        >graphics package that is also dome-friendly, I thought I'd ask members on
        >the list for possible recommendations.

        >What I need is a simple drawing tool (like Inkscape, Illustrator, Freehand
        >or CorelDraw) that can also warp graphics for the dome environment; IOW
        >something I can use to create simple panoramas as well as simple allskies.

        >Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

        david mcconville
        http://www.elumenati.com
        828.236.9777 (studio)
        828.279.7421 (mobile when traveling)