Konferenz Culture and Science of Vision

  • Nadja Franz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2005
      Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

      Von: kmetz@...-potsdam.de
      Datum: 24. Januar 2005 10:08:46 MEZ
      An: SvenjaDerichs@..., daniela_droescher@..., nadja@..., inestheilen@..., tripp@...-potsdam.de
      Betreff: Konferenz Culture and Science of Vision

      Anbei ein Call for Papers von einer Konferenz zu wohl so ziemlich jedem Thema, das man sich in diesem Bereich vorstellen kann... Liebe Grüße Tinka

      Note new deadline for abstracts.

      Sight Lines: An American Studies Conference on the Culture and Science of Vision New England American Studies Association, Annual Conference September 23-24, 2005

      American Antiquarian Society and Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts

      Speakers include:
      Margaret S. Livingstone, Professor of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School. Author of Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing (NY: Harry N. Abrams, 2002).
      Alan Wallach, Ralph H. Wark Professor of Art and Art History and Professor of American Studies, The College of William and Mary. Author of Exhibiting Contradiction: Essays on the Art Museum in the United States (Massachusetts, 1998).

      This conference brings together new work in history, cultural studies, art and film studies, literary studies, and the growing field of science studies on the pivotal issue of vision. Our goal is to gain a fuller picture of vision from start to finish*from the biology and neurobiology of how we see, to the cultural factors that frame what we see, and, finally, to the art, maps, and constructs that result from those views.

      As an American Studies conference, we are also interested in views of America, and the fashioning of an American national and global view. What role does vision play in organizing American culture along lines of race and class? How does a cultural, philosophical, and technical understanding of sight help us to understand representations of the seen and unseen in American history and culture?

      Proposals are welcome for both panels and individual papers. Proposals that draw upon the collections of the American Antiquarian Society will be of particular interest. The program committee also seeks proposals for one hour “keyword sessions,” in which 5 panelists speak for 3-5 minutes on one or a group of words pertinent to issues of vision.

      Possible topics include:

      ART
      the Grand Tour
      peep shows
      Optical illusions and allusions
      windows, architecture
      cameras, camera obscura
      vistas and views
      photography, film
      the collector’s eye
      the shopper’s eye
      Museums
      Perspective
      Ekphrasis

      SCIENCE
      The science of the visual field
      History of the science of vision
      Blindness
      The mechanics and theories of vision
      Seeing Color; Color Blindness
      Optical illusions
      Invisibility, the Missed and Unseen

      TECHNOLOGY
      Maps
      Lenses
      Telescopes, telephotos
      Surveying
      Optics
      Geography

      POLITICS
      Seeing Race; Race Blindness
      The Queer Eye
      The imperial look
      The view of the other
      Speculation
      The ethics of vision
      Discovery
      Invisibility, the Missed, and Unseen
      The cultural parameters of vision
      The vision thing
      Surveillance
      Being and Seeing

      Send c.v. and 1- to 2-page abstracts for all talks and presentations (plus a 1-page rationale for panels) to Sarah Luria, English Department, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA 01610 or sluria@.... Submissions should be postmarked by March 15, 2005.

      Sponsored by the Worcester Polytechnic Institute American Antiquarian Society

      CFP@...
      Full Information at http://cfp.english.upenn.edu
      Or write Jennifer Higginbotham:higginbj@...
      =====
    • Raymond Worthy
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hello to all projector makers!

        Someone entirely new into our world.

        In my line of work which is solely to do with the making and selling of
        inflatable domes, I am occasionally approached by a total newcomer.
        This one is only a couple of hours drive from me , in Bradford in the
        north of England.

        Take a look at the web site
        http://www.orbitresearch.co.uk

        The man to write to is Ian Jones: ijones@... .

        I promised to pass this message on to you all.

        Ray Worthy.