Re: Camera and lens...

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      Posted for Tom Casey...

      ===

      Yes... the digital cameras are not capturing the full range usually
      used for HDR environments... essentially because they are designed for
      print photography markets... but factoring in that the dynamic range on
      the dome is quite limited compared to say film projection or HD video
      displayed on some sort of monitor the 12 bits are quite sufficient for
      our implementation and successful usage. To be honest, the dome's
      reflectance and cross wash-out "normals" are always going to limit us
      somewhat in the various rendering techniques being used for other
      applications... you just have to tweek it as best you can.

      The camera with fish-eye lens' real strength is in storytelling where
      the subject matter has a strong need for imagery just too "much" for
      creation with CGI software tools. It is effective in capturing
      locations that are part of the story... locations that would be far too
      complex to create or for that matter don't need the traditional CGI
      overkill that is prevalent in today's production market. It's like a
      documentary that effectively uses pans across old stillphotos... it
      will work when done well.

      As Carolyn mentioned, there are techniques using tools like
      AfterEffects that can provide some "animation" looks with teh captured
      imagery. It would be wonderful if someday we had a Flame like
      application for fulldome like we have for standard video.

      Another comment on the attendance thread... I wonder if any of the
      "mining" of data being suggested has any real value overall in the
      market... the markets are very much local population orientated except
      for a couple facilities in tourist-traffic markets... going to be tough
      to relate experiences across the wide range of locations considering
      all the specific variables.

      Tom