Re: [fulldome] Re: Planetarium Capacity

  • Mark C. Petersen
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2004
      At 12:08 PM 12/31/2004, Larry Ciupik <lciupik@...> chimed in with:

      >Another issue that needs to be factored in (as retail stores do) is the
      >"bubble" created by the attendance during the first year of operation (or
      >renovation), which is often the largest. It would be great if both an
      >average attendance and peak year attendance could be included (sorry,
      >Mark!), so that we could get a better estimate of what real continuing
      >attendance would be.

      Well, how's this for a New Year's resolution, then? I will add another
      field in my database to keep track of the year an attendance report is
      submitted. Then, when the figure shows up in the LNP Planetarium
      Compendium, it could say "Attendance: 123,456 (2004)" instead of the
      current "123,456 annual visitors".

      Potentially, this would also allow for filtering to be applied, such as
      limiting counts to facilities with recently supplied data.

      However, what you're asking for (peak year attendance) can't really be
      figured unless one keeps track *over the years* of a facility's
      performance. That's pretty much beyond the scope of what Loch Ness
      Productions can do.

      And a real-world consideration: your facility at Adler, for example,
      already has such attendance data for your own theaters. After your grand
      re-opening following your renovations, you already know how long your
      "honeymoon" period was, and how the inevitable "sophomore slump" numbers
      compared. In order for me to provide the data you requested, everyone else
      would have to provide those sorts of figures too, out of the goodness of
      their hearts. And for it all to be meaningful, one would desire a
      side-by-side comparison of those theaters, so one could see, for instance,
      how well or poorly one's own theater compares with others. What do you
      suppose are the chances that every theater would post their own accumulated
      yearly attendance figures on their Web sites?

      Yeah, I kinda think so too :-)

      Happy New Year, all!

      >> Mark

      Mark C. Petersen mark@...
      Loch Ness Productions http://www.lochness.com
      __________________________ GEODESIUM _________
    • Mark C. Petersen
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2005
        At 09:33 AM 12/31/2004, David Beining relayed:

        >any antecodotals on dome size to seat count ratios since
        >fulldome's introduction? I designed L* specifically for fulldome and
        >felt (and feel) you can't put seats too close to the springline. So,
        >we're way below Mark's standards with a 55-ft (17M) dome with 150 seats
        >(our mini-pit occupies 6 seats for a utilitarian single-channel
        >projector).

        I can't speak to "since fulldome's introduction" (and just exactly when was
        that, exactly, anyway? :-)) But actually, David, sizewize, I'd say your
        theater's "exceedingly average" :-) -- although the last update form I'd
        received from L* said 135 as the seating capacity; I'll revise
        accordingly. 100,000 annual attendance still good?

        Non-anecdotally, here's the physics I was referring to: the average number
        of seats under various dome diameters (in meters). The columns should line
        up if you're viewing this message with a fixed-width font.

        U.S. Avg Fulldome only
        ------ --- -------------
        21-up: 348 427
        18-21: 206 179
        15-18: 140 159
        12-15: 102 95
        9-12: 66 70
        6-9: 46 27
        3-6: 24 8

        Int'l. Avg Fulldome only
        ------ --- -------------
        21-up: 286 337
        18-21: 234 186
        15-18: 175 121
        12-15: 114 109
        9-12: 73 71
        6-9: 42 ?
        3-6: 17 ?

        One could deduce that the really big fulldome theaters are squeezing 'em in
        tighter.

        In my previous message, I'd said the average 18-21m dome had 280 seats;
        what I should have said <g> was "18m and up"; I'd set the filter to
        "Domesize >= 18". The breakdown listed above refines the split point a bit.

        >> Mark

        Mark C. Petersen mark@...
        Loch Ness Productions http://www.lochness.com
        __________________________ GEODESIUM _________
      • Todd Slisher
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 28, 2005
          Sorry this is coming back so late, but perhaps I can contribute. We track this (calling it Occupancy Rate) for both of our theaters. Historically

          Planetarium is at about 38% Occupancy rate with an annual attendance of about 80,000
          IMAX is at 45% Occupancy rate with an annual attendance of about 170,000

          So I'd say your numbers are really right on line.

          Clear Skies,

          Todd

          Todd K. Slisher
          Director of Science Programs
          Detroit Science Center
          5020 John R Street
          Detroit, MI 48202
          Tslisher@...

          =====
          Kevin D. Conod had asked:

          I've been asked by our new Deputy Director for Marketing for what capacity our planetarium is current operating at. [...] I'm afraid if I just tell him we're running at 43% capacity without any context, that it will reflect poorly on the planetarium. So my question is what capacity does your theater run at and how does this compare to other similar theaters (i.e. Imax) - how does this compare to the capacity of movie theaters? (I've recently read that movie theaters may run at as little as 12-15% due to an overenthusiastic building boom).
        • KDConod
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 28, 2005
            > So I'd say your numbers are really right on line.

            Thanks Todd, from what little info I've been able to gether, it seems that planetariums and large format theater seems to operate roughly in the 25-35% range, so ours is not unusual.

            =====
            Kevin Conod
            kdconod@...
          • Tom Clarke
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 28, 2005
              My understanding is that a 40% average of capacity is a good planning bench mark to ensure that you can handle the peaks. It may look like inefficient use of seats but if you end up turning away lots of motivated customers at peak periods that translates into a real loss of potential revenue.

              Tom Clarke