Capacity

  • Steve Cooper
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2004
      Capacity

      I notice all the theaters mentioned are in large cities.  We at the Science Center of Iowa are in a smaller venue, and will be moving to a new facility in 4 months (yikes!).

      I can't help you with your estimates.  We are doing everything we can to make the Star Theater different from the IMAX.  No seats (we are putting 4 rows of tiers in the back), a shallow tilt, and we hope to make it interactive (not with the rows of seat buttons).  We settled on a 50 foot dome for a number of reasons.

      A few things I'd like to know from Houston:

      Where did you get the camera?  Sounds handy.

      Did your increase in IMAX capture correlate with your being able to create these more sophisticated shows?  i.e.: with staff experience?

      Do you believe the IMAX attendance is dropping BECAUSE the planetarium shows are getting better?  In other words, if people are paying less to go into the planetarium and are satisfied they have had their 'big theater experience', are they less inclined to pay even more to get a second experience?

      This was our thought when we decided our planetarium would remain an un-ticketed venue.  It remains part of our general admission.

      Steve Cooper
      Production
      Science Center of Iowa
      4500 Grand Ave.
      Des Moines, Iowa 50312
      stevec@...
      515-274-4138 X:231

    • Carolyn Home
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2004
        Steve

        My responses to your questions:

        The camera is from Kodak (14Mpixel) and is available -- try ebay. The
        8mm lens is a bit trickier to find. You have to search a bit.

        The IMAX is sinking without the planetarium's help. We might be
        benefiting from IMAX's woes. The dome is a unique experience -- a large
        flat screen no longer is.

        Using the fisheye camera, you reduce your need for 3D animation
        considerably -- what you're shooting already has the proper aspect
        ratio. Your production of "real" places and scenes and time lapse stuff
        (like sunrises) has now been made much easier. Your staff just needs to
        know AfterEffects or the equivalent. However if you want to show
        dinosaurs and alien worlds, you're back in CG mode.

        We sell a lot of stuff at our box office and it seems to work. You can
        by Museum exhibits, the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit, the Tibet exhibit,
        the Butterfly Center, one or more of 5 IMAX features, and one or more
        of 3 planetarium shows. It's like going to the box office of a
        multi-plex and folks seem to respond. We are not sure if we'd benefit
        from a combination ticket in general. We offer a combination for Dead
        Sea Scrolls and Secrets of the Dead Sea in the planetarium, for
        instance. This definitely drives planetarium traffic.

        Hope this information helps.

        Carolyn