Preview new planetarium show "The Great Planet Adventures"; also, beware of IP theives

  • Patricia Reiff
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2014
      "The Great Planet Adventures" will be shown at the USA Science and Engineering Festival this weekend at the Discovery Dome booth  (E6415) -
      come by and see us!  A preview version is available now but the final version will be ready in a little while.  You can watch the preview version at:

      Also, be aware of content thieves!
      Twice last month a person (supposedly two different people) purchased a show for download from our website.
      For one, the credit card company squashed the sale because the card was stolen.
      For the other sale, the customer had a valid name, valid address, valid credit card and signed and emailed back the license so we posted it for him to download, which he did.
      Then he asked for the Russian and Spanish versions and I got very suspicious .....
      Then, three weeks later the customer said the card was fraudulently used and we had to refund it, but meanwhile the perpetrator had already downloaded the show.
      Sooooo, be on the lookout for someone showing a stolen (English) version of "the Body Code", prewarped 1920x1080.
      We WATERMARKED the show, upside down on the top, during the credits (starting at 20:00).
      so if you see a show where the credits stop abruptly or that say "Licensed only to John O'Connor", please let me know.
      Bummer!!

      Patricia Reiff, Ph.D.
      President, MTPE Inc. dba ePlanetarium
      855-DISC-DOME  x3      [855-347-2366 x3]
      P. O. Box 271344  Houston TX 77277-1344
      "a woman-owned small business"
      facebook: Discovery Dome
      twitter: DiscoveryDome
      skype: eplanetarium

    • Joseph Ciotti
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2014
        Aloha Pat,

        Can you please send me a quote for a 4K fulldome version of "The Great Planet Adventures" (5.1 audio) for our college planetarium, Hokulani Imaginarium? Please provide separate quotes for a 10-year and 50-year license. We are a small facility with an annual attendance of approximately 7,500 K-12/public visitors.

        I would like to add this show on our Adopt-a-Show menu for potential donors.

        Would we be slicing the dome masters or would you do that? We do have the capability of slicing our own shows.

        Thanks,
        Joe

        Joseph Ciotti, PhD
        Professor of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics
        Director Center for Aerospace Education
        Director Hōkūlani Imaginarium
        Coordinator Polynesian Voyaging Program
        Associate Director Hawaii Space Grant Consortium
        Windward Community College
        45-720 Keaahala Road
        Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
        808-236-9111 (office)

      • marklnp
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2014
          > our Adopt-a-Show menu for potential donors.

          That sounds like an interesting idea, Joe.  Can you describe it a bit more?  How is it working for you?

          >> Mark
        • Patricia Reiff
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2014
            Actually, although Joseph Ciotti accidentally sent his request to the list instead of to me, his idea of "adopt-a-show" is very clever and mades a good model for show purchase in expensive times... Good content is expensive to make and so it rarely pays back its investment, and with NASA cutting back on funding shows, I'm afraid it will only get worse in the future.

            Our new show "the Great Planet Adventures" (well, actually, a 11-minute shortened version) was just shown to over 2500 people in three days at the USA Science and Engineering Festival and the consensus was "thumbs up".  Lots of "wow", "cool" and "awesome!"  (and a few "was that real?" to which my reply was "not yet, but it could be, if you make it happen!").  By showing an abbreviated show, the average wait time in line was less than 10 minutes.  The line ended up self-regulating: when the line approached a full dome's worth, the folks generally did not choose to stay when they knew they would not see the next showing.  We passed out cards so everyone could watch it online free on our YouTube channel.  http://www.spaceupdate.com/shows/ddome/great_planet_adventures/   We got a lot of publicity, making the Washington Post and several photo blogs.  Over 350,000 attended the festival, and we had two domes there... ours showing "The Great Planet Adventures" and the Biophysical society using a dome rented from HMNS showing immersive views of flagella in their dome.  Their show was only 4 minutes long, so they reached 5400 in the 27 hours of the event, so a total of nearly 8,000 in the two Discovery Domes.  Exhausting but satisfying.

            That said, our standard pricing for 4K frames for the show (which includes two immersive games) is $15,000 for one year and $25,000 for 50 years.  We don't have listed a 10-year price, but we can negotiate.   We generally just give you the hard drive of the masters and the audio files and you do the slicing.  I'll give you a call today, Joe, and we can talk.
            http://spaceupdate.com/store/shows_hmns.html

            Patricia Reiff, Ph.D.President, MTPE Inc. dba ePlanetarium
            reiff@...
            855-DISC-DOME  x3      [855-347-2366 x3]
            fax: 855-801-1266
            P. O. Box 271344  Houston TX 77277-1344
            http://www.eplanetarium.com