Seatting

  • Matthew Linke
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8 7:13 PM
      Hi,

      Seats.  Power.  Internet.  Selection buttons.  Many options.  Oh, and let's not forget the little fold down tables..  You might have guessed that we are thinking about seats.  The two biggest questions include those little fold down writing tables-- only being considered because if some potential uses of the dome-- no not a lecture hall.  And power to each seat for computers.  Internet will be there already via building wireless.  The University uses a brand of the hand-held clickers for voting.

      We are interested in what people find useful, what's a must and a big no, no.

      Thanks,

      Matt Linke

      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director

      University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
      Room 4508 Museums
      1109 Geddes Ave.
      Ann Arbor,  MI  48109
      734-647-1381 (voice)
      734-647-2767 (fax)

    • Greg Mancari
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10 4:30 AM
        Desks seems like a perfectly fine idea, but I am always wary of putting power in seats. Seats get the crap beat out of them and at some point you are going to have to repair/replace one and if you have power in it that you have a whole other factor to deal with. You really shouldn't need power for computers as laptop batteries will usually last for a 2 hour class or more.

        Just my 2 cents.

        --
        Greg Mancari
        Draco Consulting LLC
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10 8:36 AM
          I’d suggest that you don’t necessarily count on the existing wifi to successfully reach inside a fulldome theater. A metal dome makes a damn fine Faraday cage, so you may want to plan to have your network folks run another access point inside the theater itself if you’re counting on reliable internet access.

          Chris

          Chris Seale
          Marketing Manager

          Spitz Inc
          700 Brandywine Drive
          Chadds Ford, PA
          phone: 610-459-5200 x 176
          cell: 484-832-8372

        • Michael Magee
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10 1:59 PM
            I agree with Chris here. We had a wifi node installed inside of our dome and it has been working fine ever since. We have college classes in addition to our public programs and live lectures, asll of which use the wifi. The speed has been sufficient for almost everything we do.

            We are getting ready to upgrade our seating and we are not planning on running power to the seats. We might have receptacles for wireless responders to fit in for various uses. We have not decided yet. Plus, we will be having fold up desk tops included with each seat since we teach many classes in our dome. We are probably going with Irwin Seating.

            Michael

            --

            Michael V. Magee

            Technical Director

            Flandrau Science Center

            University of Arizona

            1601 E. University Blvd.

            Tucson, AZ 85721

            Cell: 1-520-419-6367

            Office: 1-520-621-3645

            email: mvmagee@...

          • KDConod
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13 7:43 AM

              Yet if you don't provide some outlets then students are liable to plug into whatever they find - potentially unplugging something they shouldn't or you end up with wires strung across aisles. Batteries may last a few hours but students often have multiple classes in a row.

              Perhaps add some outlets in the floor?

              Kevin Conod
              kdconod@...