Projection software

  • pauldavidbourke
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2014
      I would welcome any options/leads the community can suggest for dome projection given a pair of 4K projectors, each doing 1/2 of the dome with an overlap for blending.
      I'm not asking about the hardware, it will twin 4K projectors and suitable partial fisheye lens. What I'm asking about is the software that will allow one to calibrate and then project with geometry correction and edge blending.
      This may be for either, or both, 4K movie playback or interactive/realtime applications. Happy to take replies directly (paul.bourke@...) or through this forum is you think there would be wider interest.

    • Bryan Sailors
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2014
        Paul correct me if I'm wrong but if you were to use a new Mac Pro with dual 4K video cards and set them up as a span (windows term) you would be able to play native 8k videos right inside something like your warp player. I don't believe the overlap would be an issue since there would be no overlap of two images only 1 contiguous image across both displays. Edges however are out of my realm of competence. The new Mac Pro looks like they have made is easy now to accomodate an 8K output for warped video. I'm excited about trying one.

        Bryan

      • asaf yurdakul
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2014
          Hi Paul again

          If you let me I will give you some information about softwares on my site.
          The DomePlayer software needs "Projection Designer" software output files.
          It can play fulldome movies on multiprojector setups.

          The "Planetarium Control" software includes
          - projector set on/off and black/white controls capability.
          - set computer clusters on/off controls.
          - control to time server. This duty is important for synchronous of multiprojector display parts.
           So my multiprojector sytem provides synchronous by software (not hardware).
          Also supposed a time server (hardware or software) in the system.

          These system need licence registration and security dongle key hardware.

          Would you think to test "DomePlayer" with "PlanetariumControl"?
          If yes I can give you free licence and use without dongle key. For time server I can advice some small softwares.

          P.S: These software works on windows PC.

          Best Regards.
          Asaf

        • Greg Mancari
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2014

            As far as I know, out side of some VJ software's and BARCO black boxes there isn't anyway to do the edge blending. It is impossible to get two projectors in a dome to project a single image without image overlap and therefore you will have to have a blend zone which requires both physical and software blends.

          • pauldavidbourke
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2014
              I understand about edge blending, I don't understand why you say one needs BOTH physical and software blends. I would have thought one could just use software blending.
            • Greg Mancari
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2014

                Without hardware blends you will end up with a brighter band across your blend zone. You can do it, but it doesn't look so good without the hardware.

                On Mar 1, 2014 9:28 PM, <paul.bourke@...> wrote:

                I understand about edge blending, I don't understand why you say one needs BOTH physical and software blends. I would have thought one could just use software blending.

              • jonathanpixogram
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2014
                  TouchDesigner is worthy of some serious consideration Paul, its designed for multiple projectors/sources.  I've used it to warp fisheye to mirror and now on a triple projector installation.  I believe Vortex Immersion use TouchDesigner extensively for their dome servers.  Now with HapQ decode and playback, blending ultra high-res playback is a breeze.
                • Schorcht, Volkmar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2014

                    Greg Mancari is right with the brightened blend zone caused by the grayish residual light of all standard projectors. In the blend the residual light of both (or even three) projectors adds up and generates a brighter zone within the overlaps. Hardware blends in front of or within the lens are used to block the residual light. The results are acceptable but almost never absolutely perfect. Most critical content, where blends easily get visible are single color backgrounds like the blue sky.

                    There is one exception to this rule: projectors with extremely high contrast don’t need hardware blends/masks. ZEISS designed the VELVET projectors exactly to achieve perfect blends. With a contrast ratio of 2.5 million to one there is no residual light in the background and therefore no need of hardware blends. With proper calibration blend zones disappear totally.

                    Volkmar Schorcht

                  • Chris Maytag
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2014

                      I could be wrong here, but isn’t the issue the additive nature of the non-black “black” presented by each projector? In areas of overlap, you can easily control levels with software blending, but software blending can do nothing at all about the “blacks” (which aren’t really black) adding to each other, creating a brighter band; it’s a limitation of the current state of projectors.

                      Chris

                      Fiske Planetarium