Computer/amp room

  • Matthew Linke
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2013
      Hi all,

      Getting to the details now.  For those of you who have a separate room where your equipment racks exist, are these rooms additionally cooled or are they cooled off the overall building HVAC system.  Are they kept cooler?  Do you have an additional air filter-- or any other special environmental controls?

      Regards,

      Matt Linke

      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director

      University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
      Room 4508 Museums
      1109 Geddes Ave.
      Ann Arbor,  MI  48109
      734-647-1381 (voice)
      734-647-2767 (fax)

    • Mario / Discovery Dome Europe
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013
        Good to hear you are planning to house your equipment in an environmentally-controlled room. For nine years now ours has been in an open space outside the dome, with the equipment often overheating and constantly caked with dust: http://bit.ly/DigistarGalactica

      • laserbub
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013

          Matt:

          Since our construction in 2000 we have had our equipment room cooled by a Liebert unit that operates off of the Univ. chilled water system (HVAC)   Don't allow this, it means the chilled water must run year-around and the unit is not as stable as one with its own compressor.   However, don't use one that contains the very noise compressor inside the unit.   Make sure you specify a split system where the noise is outside your building.    I spend a lot of time in the rack room and the noise of a "computer room" Liebert or similar brands is very bad.  You can't really even talk over it or hear yourself think!   Ask the Adler if you don't believe me.

          My two cents,

             Drew

        • chris maytag
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
            At Fiske here in Boulder we're completing a systems upgrade, and part of that was clearing out the old "Zeiss room" and making way for "the server room". This meant both extensive new wiring as well as cutting holes for new AC ducting. This high-volume chiller/blower was mounted on our roof, and serves that room only. Air is filtered, although not to standards typically used in datacenter applications. The cooling is regulated by a standard wall-mounted programmable digital thermostat, we'll be experimenting with where to set it. My recommendation (and our starting point) has been 65F.

            Chris

            ---
            Chris Maytag
            Studio Manager