Re: To tilt or not to tilt a dome

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2013
      Matthew:

      First dome I ever worked in was in Roanoke VA at the Hopkins Plantarium. It is a 40-foot dome tilted 41-degrees. Now you have heard of much more than 20-degrees!
      The purpose was three fold, there are 140 seats that need a clear view of the sky (Spitz 512) the five-pan, triple stacked slide system, and the 35/70mm film projector. The design is quite unique and was fun to work and learn in. It got me where I am today.
      There are a few other unique items that I won't go into here.

      I have worked in flat, tilted and extreme tilted. My favorite is what I have now, slightly stair stepped seating for 160 and a 12.5-degree tilted dome. I believe it to be the right thing for a dome that is used as a theater, planetarium, lecture and classroom facility and more.

      My choice: uni-directional seating and 10 to 15 degree tilt. I like both Spitz and Astro-Tech domes equaly.

      This is my two cents, let me know if it helps.

      Regards,
      Drew
      Rauch Planetarium
      Univ. of Louisville
    • Hari Nandakumar
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2013
        Hi Matt,

        I am probably biased, since ours is a tilted dome, but I see a lot of pro
        points for tilted domes. :)

        We have a 15 degree tilted dome and uni-directional seating. Nowadays, most
        of the fulldome shows available are more suited for unidirectional seating.
        Some of the other planetaria in India, which started out with concentric
        seating and optomechanical projection systems, ripped out their seats and
        converted to uni-directional seating when they upgraded to fulldome
        projection. Others are trying to roll their own shows to suit their
        concentric seating. So, in our case, the uni-directional seating and the
        tilted dome seems to be a good choice.

        There's a pic of our theatre at
        http://home.saispace.in/home/photo-gallery

        With a tilted dome and uni seating, the horizon can go lower down than with
        concentric seating without tilt, since stepped seats mean that the people
        in the back rows are not blocked by the people in front. The seats can be
        more upright, tilting at an angle rather than completely reclining, too.
        This could help with increasing seat density, too.

        There were some older threads some time back about concentric vs
        unidirectional seating, tilted domes, etc those may also be relevant for
        you:

        Yours,

        Hari Nandakumar
        Sri Sathya Sai Space Theatre
        Prasanthi Nilayam
        AP - 515134
        India
      • Donald Knapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2013
          Matt,

          Here's one caveat to consider with a tilted dome. Because of the tilt, you
          will not have a continuous horizon completely around the dome. This isn't a
          problem if you're only presenting fulldome video, but it can be
          problematical when giving star presentations. For example, when I give a
          lesson on the seasons, I like the students to track the sun's apparent
          motion from horizon to horizon. With a tilted dome, if the students are
          facing south, this cannot be done properly when the sun is north of the
          celestial equator, because the the horizon stops at the east and west
          points.

          Just something to consider.

          Don Knapp
          Retired & Domeless