Camera for low lit interior

  • Lance Tankersley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2013
      Hope everyone had a good 4th!
      I am working on a fulldome project that calls for an on location shoot of a low lit, interior scene. (Fulldome live capture; Not timelapse).
      I am having trouble finding a camera rig that does well in low light conditions. Any recommendations or willing to share experience? Vendors welcome to reply off list.

      Thank you in advance.

      Lance
    • Jason Fletcher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2013
        The 360 Hero <http://www.360heros.com/2013/04/how-does-the-360heros-video-rig-work/> [ http://bit.ly/18BkHIP ] rigs intriguing but I haven't been able to test it out yet.

        The GoPro HERO3: Black Edition
        <http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#specs> [ http://bit.ly/127rnXU ] has shown to be
        impressive in low light situations. (ƒ/2.8) All the best to
        you on the shoot!

        --
        Jason Fletcher
        Science Visualizer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2013
          Hey Jason and Lance,
          The 360 GoPro rigs that are starting to come to market are really
          exciting. Our Freedom360 Kit is based on the 5 or 6 GoPro Hero
          configuration, and at its price point, it blows away virtually all
          fulldome video capture systems on the market.
          http://www.dome3d.com/content/freedom360-fulldome-kit
          <http://www.dome3d.com/content/freedom360-fulldome-kit>
          The one area that GoPro cameras still have trouble with are low light
          environments, and they produce a fair amount of noise. While they do
          have a fast lens, the sensor is very small and it can only do so well in
          low light. We have shot inside an observatory with good results, but it
          was still fairly well lit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoZJUMoTddU
          <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoZJUMoTddU> Even an EPIC with a
          fisheye lens will produce noise in dark environments, much worse than
          the GoPros!
          My advise is to light the environment as much as possible and in post
          tweak your image to suit the look you need on the dome. Also shooting
          in Protunes mode will produce more noise than shooting in auto mode
          (which to me seems backwards but it's true).
          If you would like more info on the camera rigs, feel free to drop me a
          line at any time. We also have lots of tests posted to our YouTube
          Channel, so check the Freedom360 out in action. http://goo.gl/YYMvo

          Matthew Mascheri
          President, Dome3D, LLC <http://www.dome3d.com/>
          Email - Matt@...
          Phone - 630.660.8239
          Fax - 888.851.4642
          Skype - mattmascheri
          Sign up for our fulldome E-Newsletter!
          <http://dome3d.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=fe3806475dd7b1262e738a1a8\
          &id=1fd855992c>
        • Jason Fletcher
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
            Thanks for the info Matt. Its helpful to hear your experience.

            --
            Jason Fletcher
            http://www.thefulldomeblog.com/