High-res Dome Viewer?

  • Mario / Discovery Dome Europe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
      Those of you familiar with the free application Dome Tester (
      http://bit.ly/dometester) know it's useful for producing quick 'dome view'
      projections like these: http://bit.ly/domeviewer

      Yet a screen grab of such projections is very low-res, particularity for
      printing purposes.

      Can anyone possibly recommend a similar dome viewer application (or any
      graphics application) that will allow exporting of such 'dome views' in
      high resolution?

      Thanks in advance

      Mario / Thinktank Planetarium & Dome Club
    • cpm5280
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi Mario,

        I think the easiest way to go would be to use a 3d application (c4d, Blender, maya, 3d studio, etc) to place the fulldome frame you'd like to preview onto a 3d hemisphere (assuming I understand your intent here correctly), and render out a projection from whatever angle you'd like, at whatever resolution you need for your purpose.

        If you don't already have such an application, then Blender's a good option, since it's free...although I don't use it, and so cannot give you a recipe for doing this. I suspect the idea is similar regardless of the software tool used, although the steps will vary.

        chris

        ---
        Chris Maytag
        Fiske Planetarium