Re: [fulldome] Future of cinema - intensify fulldome?

  • Tom Casey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2013
      In reading the article, I think the $50 movie idea was coming from more of a result of their frustration with the direction Hollywood has gone the last decade or so. Meaning very expensive movies, massively over produced, lots of special effects for their own sake with projection presentation gimmicks but little or no creative storytelling. Just designed based on formulas that will have mass appeal and greater ticket sales... especially 3D and IMAX versions with higher ticket prices.

      Movies are a hugely profitable business today. But imagine an entire summer's worth of expensively overproduced "blockbuster" movies that are bombs... suddenly cash gets lean in Hollywood and even Spielberg and Lucas can't get a movie produced.

      So does the idea that after IMAX and 3D get old, will some thing similar to a fulldome immersive experience be next for Hollywood and the ticket price (profits) jump up even more. And will that have any impact on the popularity of planetariums because they have a similar presentation approach (gimmick you could say).

      I would not think so... if anything, Hollywood has always had a negative influence on the educational environment. Just watch any Hollywood film that starts with 'based on a true story." I've seen history destroyed by these kind of films and audiences spend the rest of their years thinking that's the way it happened. Hollywood has an amazing way of distorting things.

      H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

      Tom Casey
      President & Creative DIrector

      100 First Avenue Suite 450 Pittsburgh, PA 15222 412-391-8200
      HomeRunPictures.com
    • Mario / Discovery Dome Europe
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2013
        I agree Jason and I like to think we're already beginning to see it :-)

        We run a weekly Dome Club (www.domeclub.co.uk) in the same building as the
        city's Giant Screen cinema (www.giantscreencinema.co.uk). Yet I've never
        seen tweets as exuberant about giant, flat cinema as ones we receive for
        immersive cinema: https://twitter.com/favorites

        Anyway, Spielberg should know where things are heading as he saw the future
        back in 2006 ;-) :

        "Some day in the not too distant future
        you'll be able to go to a movie and
        the movie will be all around you.