Night sky discussions with truncated dome projection

  • Matthew Linke
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2013
      Hi all,

      I am an old dog. I might be forced to learn some new tricks. It concerns me. The idea of having to do my long-loved night sky and motions presentations with a chunk of my sky missing is very concerning to me. The real world doesn't look like that. I would like to hear from you digital truncated people, how you deal with the loss of that piece of your sky.

      How does it affect your teaching? How do audiences (especially schools) respond? What is worst about it?

      Going digital after 30 years with opto-mechanical was hard enough. Now, five years later, digital is asking me to consider (for the sake of brightness and resolution--and money) to do more. I am not at that
      decision point yet, but I need to prepare for the possibility. I need some chocolate!

      Regards,

      Matt Linke

      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director

      University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
      Room 4508 Museums
      1109 Geddes Ave.
      Ann Arbor, MI 48109
      734-647-1381 (voice)
      734-647-2767 (fax)
      www.ummnh.org
    • southdome
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2013
        Matt

        We create our night sky using a Zeiss ZKP3 and run our full dome shows using truncated video. We did this initially because the ZKP3 was not able to be retracted. The full dome projector sits ahead of the ZKP3 which would have cast a shadow at the back of the theatre if we ran in non truncated mode.

        I agree that the sky is odd when we have used the full dome projector instead of the Zeiss.

        Glen
      • KDConod
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2013
          We have a Sky Skan Definiti PD portable system. In that situation its not that big of a deal. Even if it were 180 degrees, the door of the portable dome kind of messes up the northern sky anyway. We have to roatate the sky in azimuth to show the northern sky.

          Yes a full 180 degree is preferable, but it's not the end of the world (or the sky).

          Kevin Conod
          kdconod@...