Outdoor planetarium

  • Matthew Linke
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2013
      Hi,

      I thought I knew where this was, but can't find it. Some years back, I
      think SKY had a picture of an outdoor ring of seats (stone, I thought)
      where you could do a live star talk with a bright laser pointer. I was
      asked about that lately. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

      Matt Linke

      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director

      University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
      Room 4508 Museums
      1109 Geddes Ave.
      Ann Arbor, MI 48109
      734-647-1381 (voice)
      734-647-2767 (fax)
      www.ummnh.org
    • Chris Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2013
        Matt Linke wrote:

        It's near Sacramento, CA. Sky & Telescope did a write-up on it in the August, 2007 issue:

        http://starizona.com/acb/articles/OpenAirObs.pdf

        Cheers,

        Chris Anderson
      • Tom Casey
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2013
          Hi,

          Home Run Pictures has just finished production of a new fulldome show for Buhl Planetarium. The show is called "Solar Quest" and was funded by the NASA Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) mission. Distribution will begin later this year.

          As part of the show, we needed to create a model of the Sun. We are very excited with the final results. One of our animators spent five months using Maya Fluids and tons of scripting to create a very realistic Sun. We are currently preparing one of our "Inside the Production" posts detailing the production for our Fulldome@HomeRunPictures web page. But we wanted to show everyone a preview of the sequence asap... so you can go to a temporary page and see a movie and a few higher-rez still frames.

          The NEW link is towards the bottom of the page...

          http://www.homerunpictures.com/fulldome/

          Tom

          H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

          Tom Casey
          President & Creative DIrector

          100 First Avenue Suite 450 Pittsburgh, PA 15222 412-391-8200
          HomeRunPictures.com