Lost days of shows

  • Matthew Linke
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
      Hi all,

      I was asked to get some sense of how much time planetaria (we are assuming
      digital) lose annually to technically related down time. Specifically
      non-planned time. I assume this is measured in days and includes computer
      crashes, hard drive issues, projectors dying, etc. This is related to
      comments made by an administrator that "planetariums are expensive to
      maintain." This is a very un-scientific survey......

      Regards,

      Matt Linke

      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director

      University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
      Room 4508 Museums
      1109 Geddes Ave.
      Ann Arbor, MI 48109
      734-647-1381 (voice)
      734-647-2767 (fax)
      www.ummnh.org
    • Brian Lake
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
        Two years in with our Digitalis system with zero time lost. So far so good.

        Brian Lake
        Business Operations Manager
        Roberson Museum and Science Center
        Binghamton, NY 13905
        blake@...
        607-427-4945
      • Glen Moore
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
          Matt

          We lose around one-two shows per annum. This is because we can provide alternatives to almost any internal problem - for example if the Zeiss star field fails we can use the digital star field. If the full dome system fails we can do a live show. We left the old lighting system in place when we built our LED system. We have a backup computer with all our shows loaded.

          Glen
        • Otávio Dias
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2013
            That's nice.
            Here in S�o Paulo we have two planetariums and behold!, one of them has been through all sorts of problems, from equipment to building - building being the major issue, preparing a gap for equipment failures (if not for that, I believe the Zeiss would work just fine, as has been doing in the other building). Since it has been installed, it was operated for a single year; oh, yes, it was installed in 2005.

            So we must be completely out of the curve.

            Is there anyone here working in a solely government funded planetarium?
            thanks,
            Otavio
          • Drew
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2013
              Matt and group:

              The Rauch Planetarium at Univ of Louisville doesn't do a shutdown for maintenance or production, we have only had one major equipment failure which lasted a month but did not cause us any lost shows. Therefore, I can say that for 12 years we have had a traditional plus digital, multi-projector, surround sound theater that has not been down for the public or schools any days.

              In fact, we do much more with the dome than most and still have everything working for often 10 to 16 hours per day, 6 and sometimes 7 days per week. Having a full-time tech or Technical Director is the key and I suppose your administrator can say this is a big expense. However, in our case, the Tech Dir is a staffer that runs any kind of shows and the ones that are often the biggest revenue producers like weddings, corporate meetings, concerts, corporate parties and more.

              In a more traditional digital dome I think you will find that your equipment may serve you better and more economically than did a bunch or analog, mechanical devices. (i.e. your stars and slide projectors)

              My two cents still running a dome with pretty much one of everything that Spitz could put in it in 2000 plus a few more things!

              Drew

              Rauch Planetarium - Univ of Louisville

              We are going to the Final Four!
            • richmccolman
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
                In the past two years running our Sky-Skan Definiti system, we've lost zero shows. This is with no backup in the for of a conventional optomechanical star projector, etc. So far, our fulldome system has been very reliable.

                Richard McColman
                Morehead Planetarium & Science Center